Chapter Fifteen - Stay Alive...Please

I stand there holding my breath as I watch Violet listen to everything that's being said. Her eyes wide at the mention of Venin. She looks around at everyone before her gaze lands on mine. Confusion crosses her features before dropping her head.

I focus on that warm golden shimmer linking me with Bodhi. Focusing on our link....our bond. "She's going to hate me." I announce. Bodhi tenses for a split second before relaxing. "She will forgive you." He assures me.

"I'm not so sure....It's one thing to keep my signet from them. It's another to keep this...of all this a secret."

"She will forgive you because you're you. You would never willing keep something from the people you care about if you weren't protecting them. She will understand. Besides it's not like you've known about this for months....years.....Xaden should be the one that's worried." Somehow his words are oddly comforting.

"This is weird." I state. "Which part....the venin or us?" He questions his gaze now on mine.

"Both.."

He takes a step closer. "Wren...."

My head jerks towards one of the fliers talking with Riorson. He looks Violet up and down sizing her up. "I wonder what your king would be willing to pay in order to get back the daughter of his most illustrious general. I'm willing to bet your ransom would be worth enough weaponry to defend all of Draithus for a decade."

Tairn snarls as I take a step in front of Violet. "I'm willing to bet it would take me seven seconds to detach your head from your body....want to find out?" My voice was calm but inside I was shaking with rage.

"Fuck" Bodhi and Liam mutter under their breaths. The man steps forward as my hand grabs a hold of one of my daggers.

"Try. I dare you." Violet crooks her finger at them, releasing just enough power that light flashes within the clouds above us. Liam steps closer to Vi as Bodhi makes his way next to me.

Shadows race menacingly from the pine trees on the edge of the meadow as Riorson raises his hands at his sides. Both gryphon fliers tense when the darkness pauses only inches from their feet.

"You take a step toward that Sorrengail and you'll be dead before you can even shift your weight." He pauses "She's not up for discussion."

The woman sighs letting Riorson know to singal if he can get away from the disbelievers. She walks away leading the man back towards their gryphons. They mount within seconds and launch skyward.

We all turn to look at Violet. My chest clutches with guilt as I look at my best friend. You could see the moment she realized that everyone knew but her....

"Good luck, Riorson." Imogen offers. I watch Riorson grow with apprehension as he walks closer towards her. I never thought I would see my Wingleader flinch....but here he was flinching under Violet's glare.

"Where we ever friends?" She whispers at Liam. My heart sinking even more. "We are friends, Violet, but I owe him everything." He answers her. "We all do. And once you give him a chance to explain..."

She was angry....I know because I wear that same rage like a jacket. Always there waiting for me to unleash it recklessly.

"You watched me train with him!" She shoves his chest making him stumble backwards and I instinctively move in between them. Her glare now boring into me. "And you....what's your excuse? How can you look at us, your friends and sleep at night?" she sneers. I drop my head....I deserved this. Deserved whatever she had to say.

"Violet" Bodhi warns but she ignores him. "The both of you stood by and watched me fall for him!"

"Violence, let me explain," Roirson says. She turns her back on us to face him. "If you even think about touching me, I swear I'll fucking kill you." Her power flares as lightning cracks across the sky.