Chapter Nineteen - Panic Rising

Ridoc doesn't let me go for a long time, his arms engulf me as we walk towards our meeting place with the others. When we get close Bodhi orders him to get in formation not wanting the others to see him. Ridoc let's go reluctantly looking at me over his shoulder once more before taking off in a hurry.

Bodhi walks protectively close to me, our arms brushing every once in awhile. We meet up with the others waiting for Vi and Riorson to stop arguing but we are running out of time and something is telling me these two will out stubborn one another.

"Hey, I hate to interrupt what's obviously a moment," Bodhi whispers loudly from their left. "But that was the last bell, so that's our cue to get this nightmare started."

Riorson shoots him a glare but both him and Vi give Bodhi a nod. All nine of us walk into the center of the rotunda. My heart drops to the pit of my stomach when I hear the death roll sound. Liam weighing heavy on my heart.

"I really hope you're right about this," Garrick says to Riorson as we face the open door. "It would be unfortunate to make it all three years and then die on graduation day."

"I'm right." Riorson walks out as we all follow, stepping into the sunlight.

"Garrick Tavis. Xaden Riorson." Capitan Fitzgibbon's voice carries over the formation as he reads from the death roll.

"Well, this is awkward," Rioson calls out. Every single head in the courtyard turns our direction.

I try to calm my breathing as we walk across the courtyard towards the dais. "You can do this, little bird." Ryuu encourages.

Muffling sounds fill the air in the courtyard more than one gasp from cadets surrounding us. It takes every ounce of strength I have to stride forward. Every step had a purpose....every beat of my heart aches for the man I love whose no longer here to calm the wild storm inside me.

"You're not dead....." Captain Fitzgibbons says, the scribe assigned to the Riders Quadrant, stares with wide eyes beneath his silver brows, his weathered face turning the same pale cream of his uniform as he fumbles with the death roll, dropping it.

"Apparently not," Riorson replies. Commandant Panchek's mouth hangs open but he's not the one my gaze lands on....Colonel Aetos stands with General Sorrengail. I feel Vi's sizzling white hot power wrapping around me like a caress begging me to unleash it. Colonel Aeto's cheeks grow increasingly red with every step we take, his gaze skimming our party of nine, no doubt taking note of who's here and who isn't. My palms crackle with power. Bodhi's head snaps towards me, his eyes widen in fear.

"Wren. Not here. Please.....I know.....I know you want vengeance. I can't possibly understand how you feel in this moment but if you kill him now....we are all dead. Violet. Even Sloane. Please I'm begging you......" Bodhi pleads through our link. My rage was shimmering. My heart skips when Bodhi intertwines our fingers, he winces when a jolt strikes him. I slam my mental shields down cutting off Violet's signet. I had hurt him...

"I'm sorry.....I'm so sorry." His eyes meet mine again. "Don't apologize. You have every right to kill him....I'm just sorry I can't let you unleash hell." A small smirk tilts the corners of his lips.

He drops his hand, as we go back to focusing on the others. "I don't understand," Fitzgibbons says to the two scribes behind him, then addresses Panchek. "They aren't dead. Why would they have been reported for the death roll?"

"Why were they reported for the death roll?" General Sorrengail asks Colonel Aetos, her eyes narrowing.

"They've been missing for six days!" Aetos seethes, his voice rising with each angry word. "Naturally we reported them dead, but obviously we should have reported them for desertion and dereliction of duty instead."