Chapter 25- Goodbyes

"My aunt... So she happen to be dangerous and abusive." She said with a slight smile.

Nichole could see through her smile, it was forced.

"Did she do this?"

Andrea nod slowly.
"It's my fault, it won't have been this bad if only I didn't struggle, if only I gave her the pleasure of seeing me cry in pain. I- I can fix this, you shouldn't have to get hurt because of this. All I need to do is go out there and get a few beating and it would be like nothing ever happened. And you can go on about your life and pretend like nothing ever happened."

"No Andrea-"

"Listen Nichole it's the only way."

"No you listen I am not leaving and I won't let you get beaten up, not anymore."

"You don't understand Nichole. I-It is the only way I can ever see you again."

"Why?"

"Because if she found out someone knows what she does to me, then she'd want us to move place. And I can't lose you, you're my best friend and the only one who stayed; for better or for worse you remained by my side. And that is why I am asking you, please turn a blind eye, I can't let you get hurt."

"No Andrea I can't do that. Instead let's both win."

"First we need to get out of here."

"Nichole save yourself, she won't let me leave and my body hurt. It's no use. "

"No Andrea. I am not leaving without you." Nichole was firm on her word.

"I will call the cops, but we are getting out of here."

"No. Nichole you can't, not the cops, were will I go? She is the only family I have left."

"Andrea! Come out little bitch." Her aunt yell banging the door.

"Andrea she is wrong to abuse you and she needs to pay for her crime."

Nichole stares at her waiting for her approval.

"A moment of truth." Nichole say.

"A moment of truth." Andrea replied.

With a sigh. "Okay."

"How about this Andrea you come out and I promise to leave your little friend alone. Your choice."

The banging continues.

"First we call the cops and then we get out of here."

"But... Nichole."

"Yes?" Nichole answer staring at her.

"Can we not call the cops now? N- Not that I don't want to, but c- can you give me some time? I promise when I am ready I'll be the one to call the cops and send her to prison myself. S- She's still my family after all."

Nichole looks at her.

"Sure." Nichole smile quietly.

"Now let's get out of here."

"Come on Andrea will you let the poor girl get hurt because of you? Tsk I call it disloyal."

"Andrea. Focus on my voice, don't listen to her I am here because I want to be. We are in this together remember?"

Andrea nod.
"Okay."

Now if I give the signal, you open the door...

"First promise me you won't go out there alone."

"I promise."

"Now by my count of three we..."

"Andrea!"

She rush to the door; she already unlock the door without Nichole and was out in no time

She shut the door behind her and held the key.

"Andrea!" Nichole bang the door repeatedly.

"You made a wise decision now let's go."

"You promise you'll let her go?"

"Without a scratch, and I always keep my word, now come on we don't have much time. Let's go."

"Wait. Please let me say goodbye. I beg of you."

Her aunt sigh.
"Fine but remember we don't have much time so make it quick."

"Andrea! No you can't go. I won't let you go!"

"I am sorry Nichole but I can't let you get hurt."

"Mute, freak, ugly, those were the words that once defined who I was. Always keep calm when you get bullied because it makes it less worse, you have no parents so you're not like everyone else and that's why you can never associate with them, remember they are your superiors so you do not look them in the eyes; those were my beliefs. Pretty twisted right?" She laughs bitterly.

" I was nothing Nichole, so I never really expect anything out of life; there was nothing my whole world could offer me until... Well, until you. When you came into my life you changed that, you changed me for the better, you made me realize I mustn't think less of myself, that I wasn't less than anyone simply because I had no parents; if anything it made me more human and not some hideous monster that they all claimed I was. There are words I never thought I could ever say, things I never expect I was capable of or heights I never imagined I could climb but with you nothing was ever impossible. You made me overcame my own self, you made me realize I am so much more than I thought. Your friendship saved me. "

"I guess what I am trying to say is, until I met you I never really knew the meaning of life. You've changed me forever Nichole and I will never forget, all the lessons you thought me are here in my heart. You were my mentor, my best friend, like a long lost sister and my confidant. It doesn't matter were in the universe I find myself I'll never forget you. You know, ever since my seventeen years of living I have met no other like you. Truly, you are one in a million."

Nichole sniffles.

"Hey don't cry it's not the end for the two of us. She can try to tear us apart but she can never erase our memories."

Andrea said with teary eyes.

" I am proud to say even if I have nothing; I will always seek your friendship first. Funny I never imagined this thing called friendship but it somehow found me, you found me. Thank you for showing up in my life and for creating such strong impact in me. Goodbye Nichole."

Andrea could no longer control her emotions, she cried like a baby.

"Andrea no! You can't go, you promised." Her voice cracks.

"They lie to keep the people they love safe. It's simply a white lie"

"I see what you meant mom, not all lies are dark." She walk away.

"Andrea!"

Remember every stage of your life passed only earns you a key to unlock new chapters of it lose or gained life goes on...Aimuamwosa Iroghama
We all are protagonists of our own lives because we each have stories to tell.