Prologue

The last thing Alec felt like doing right now was going on a mission and not just any mission but a rogue mission that the Clave had no idea about. There were so many ways he'd rather spend his night, yet here he was as he sighed and walked out of his room, his black fighting gear on.

"Really?" Alec remarked as a stunning raven-haired woman emerged from her own room wearing an outfit that could only be described as the opposite of Alec's outfit.

Isabelle Lightwood was in a skimpy two-piece ensemble that clung to her body like a second skin, and she held a wig in her hand that seemed to be the same shade as her outfit. "What can I say? Demons dig blondes. Just imagine if S was here," Izzy smirked as they walked.

"Of course they do, but that's white," Alec pointed out as he strapped on his fingerless gloves.

"Platinum. And they don't exactly like Shakespeare, ok Alec?"

"You're plenty distracting on your own, enough to make up for the fact that you're missing your other half."

Izzy smiled as she smoothed down the wig she held. "So, be yourself, is that what you're trying to say?"

Alec only gave his sister an incredulous look. "Never mind. Looking good, let's go."

"We're ready Jace," Izzy announced as they walked into the ops centre where a blond man was standing in front of one of the monitors.

"Nice choice, Izzy. Demons dig blondes," Jace Wayland said as he observed the wig she held.

"Told you," the raven-haired girl proclaimed as she gave her brother a smug smirk.

"It's platinum," Alec corrected, and Izzy's smirk grew.

"Alright guys, for some reason our demon friends are killing mundanes and draining their blood," Jace informed his adoptive siblings as he led them through the Institute.

"Why do they want blood? Isn't that vampire territory?"

"I don't know, Alec. Lazy vampires maybe," Jace said.

"There must be something special about their blood," Izzy noted.

"What could be special about mundane blood?" Alec asked, almost bored as Jace opened the weapons cache and handed out seraph blades.

"You get me a sample and I'll tell you exactly what they're looking for," Izzy bragged as she accepted the blade from Jace.

"We'll have more answers when we figure out exactly who the demons are working for," Jace said as he took a blade for himself and they headed back to the monitor he was standing at before.

"So, you don't think they're acting on their own?" Izzy questioned.

"No."

"They're not exactly creative thinkers. They're shapeshifters," Alec added as they stopped.

"This is what our target looks like," Jace explained as the picture appeared on the screen.

"For now," Izzy said as they memorized the face.

"Great. I'll get approval for the mission," Alec began.

"Come on, Alec. I get that you're all uptight and all because Rena isn't here, but by the time you've sent that message, we'll have killed six demons," Jace countered as they headed for the exit.

"Besides, it's more fun to break the rules than to follow them," Izzy piped up as they walked.

"And when Serena gets back in two days and finds out what we've done, it isn't going to be me she's going to kill," Alec pointed out and Jace grimaced but they still kept walking.