The Birth Of Zeke Russo

After a good night's rest, with the morning came Jonathan's interrogation. Underhill, one of the Shadowhunters of their Institute had been questioning Jonathan all morning but he refused to speak to anyone, save for Clary and Serena.

Obviously, it made sense why he wanted to speak to Clary but what confused and concerned the two boys especially was why he wanted to talk to Serena. Jace was especially hesitant to let go of the two people he loved most in the world, but Serena didn't really give him a choice. Not only was she his big sister but she was also a Co-Head of the Institute and his superior in more ways than one.

He did take solace in the fact that Serena was seemingly impervious to Jonathan's influence and she'd be there to take care of Clary while both he and Alec stood outside the cell, watching and listening to everything that would happen.

The two girls walked hand-in-hand into the cell before Serena met Jonathan's eyes and let go of Clary as she approached him. She wasn't scared of him as she reached out to rip the mask from his face, and not gently either.

"So, you like to play rough?" he said with a pained smirk.

"You'll never find out," Serena spat before moving back to take Clary's hand, the redhead extremely glad that she wasn't alone in here.

Jonathan narrowed his eyes at their conjoined hands. "She's not your sister," he growled. "She's mine."

"You don't have to be blood to be family. And Clary may not be related to me but she is my sister in every way," Serena responded and Clary's grip on her hand tightened.

"Where is the Morning Star sword?" she asked, and Jonathan began to smile at her voice.

"I missed you, too."

"Where is the sword? You know it's capable of opening a rift into Edom. Is that why you want it? To release demons?" Clary continued.

"It's a Morgenstern family heirloom. It belongs in the hands of its rightful owners. Us. You and me, Clary." Clary said nothing before Jonathan's eyes flicked to Jace beyond the glass. "Your boyfriend is keeping an awfully close eye on you. I mean, even Serena's husband isn't that overbearing. Do you think he feels guilty about leaving you alone at the ice rink? Do you think Alec feels guilty about leaving you alone with me in the infirmary?" Jonathan asked and Jace scowled at him from where he stood. Alec's hands curled into fists as he attempted to quell his anger. He hadn't forgotten about the infirmary incident; far from it, actually.

"We're not here to chat, Jonathan," Serena said. "So, if you're not going to answer any of our questions, we're done here."

"Have fun in the Gard," Clary smiled before she and Serena began to walk for the door.

"Wait," Jonathan's deep voice called, and the girls turned. "I'll tell you everything you want to know, if you'll just, stay here a little longer."

"I'm listening," Clary said.

"Why do you want me here?" Serena finally asked. "I mean it's a given why you want Clary but why do you want me?"

Jonathan's stare was piercing as he looked at her in intrigue. "Call it curiosity, wanting to scope out the competition, Valentine's other experiment. And I've always admired you, Serena. You and your power to change the Clave by protecting the Downworld. Why a Shadowhunter, a Herondale Shadowhunter no less, would want to protect those vile creatures."

Serena took two threatening steps towards him, but Clary grabbed her arm. It didn't stop her from spitting out a retort with as much venom as she could. "That's rich coming from the Shadowhunter with blood from the mother of all demons flowing through his veins."