Who Knew It Would Be Crazy Inside The Mind Of A Crazy Man?

Serena had barely moved from where she sat on Magnus's sofa, staring simply at her brother who stared back. It was so strange how it was his face and his body, and yet, it was nothing like him. It was so different to the Alec of that parallel dimension she'd travelled to so long ago. That Alec had at least looked different and acted different. This was still her JJ's face but his soul was stuck somewhere, buried under suffocating layers of demonic magic.

She was kind of glad it was taking Magnus so long to prepare for this spell that would allow them inside Jace's head and bring out the real him and not the demonic part of Lilith that resided inside him. So much information had been told to her that she needed time to digest it.

First, she was told of the potion that a mysterious woman who turned out to be Lilith had requested from Magnus, a potion to make someone fall out of love. It had been used on Jace because his love for Clary was so strong it had broken him free of her influence - and it had been the only love that Lilith could correct. Familial love, especially the bond between siblings, much less an angelically powered bond between twins, was near impossible to break. They believed it was further part of the reason why Serena had died at Lilith's hand that night, to break that bond and any chance of Jace being free.

Second, she was told how they discovered that Jace was the Owl. How he had vanished but everyone thought he had simply gone to the Silent City for treatment. They'd believed him. However, whilst Jace had been distracted by going on a family dinner with Izzy, Alec and Maryse to distract them from waiting for Serena to wake, and to meet Izzy's new mundane, Clary had been trying to find the demon that killed Serena. She too, had come to the same conclusion that no demon would have attempted to murder Ithuriel if they didn't actually possess the power to do it. She'd brought the sketch of the demon to Magnus for help and Magnus took her to meet an old contact of his, Brother Zachariah. The unusual Shadowhunter who'd supposedly been close with Jace and Serena's ancestor gave them texts that proved the demon to be Lilith.

Third, it was Brother Zachariah who told them that Jace never came to the Silent City. Magnus then began putting the pieces together that Jace wasn't actually Jace when they'd gone looking for him and stumbled onto the Owl possessing Luke's partner, Ollie. Magnus had been injured as Clary gave chase and Jace had dropped her off the roof of a skyscraper.

Fourth, she was told how Simon had saved Clary's life after she fell and got her help back at the Institute. It was there that she finally came clean about the wish to Alec and Izzy. And, perhaps the most surprising thing of all, was the fact that Alec had hugged Clary after she'd told him it was okay if he had to send her to the Gard for her actions. He'd told her that he would've done the exact same thing too. That he was grateful that she saved his brother.

However, it wasn't Alec who sent Clary to the Gard. While Serena was with Imogen, she'd left it up to her family to break into the armoury and capture Jace and in order to escape and have any hope of freeing Jace, Clary had given herself up to the Gard to buy them time. Now, she faced the Soul Sword before she was sentenced. Best case scenario, she was sentenced to some time in the Gard for grave robbing and desecration. Worst case scenario? Clary revealed the truth about the wish to Consul Penhallow and was sentenced to death.

The only link they had to Clary and the wish was Clary herself because Serena had been very thorough in erasing any trace of them in the security footage of the armoury and of the Cemetery. She believed it was the reason that Imogen had slid her stele into her granddaughter's hand.

Now, as Serena sat on the couch and stared at her twin, clutching the fire message that Brother Zachariah had sent Magnus as a favour. When a Herondale had arrived for treatment, he didn't hesitate to send frequent updates on Imogen's condition. So far, they'd been able to stop the internal bleeding from the inflicted stab wound but there was still no telling if she was going to survive.