Alec And Jace Like Punching People

To say that Serena had been stuck to her husband's side like glue since his return to the Institute was an understatement. In the days before he was cleared for field work, Serena barely even let him go to the bathroom by himself. Alec understood why, he'd felt their bond sever too. Being lost in his parabatai bond had been one thing, but that bond hadn't been severed because it was the bond that brought him back. His bond with Serena, however, had snapped clean in two. And both of them could feel that spot on the cord that connected their hearts, that spot where the cord had broken before it fused back together. And neither of them ever wanted to feel that sensation again.

Serena was also stuck to his side because she was not on talking terms with Izzy or Clary. Her relationship with Magnus was also strained but less so. The only time she left Alec was when he was asleep and she ducked out to pay her brother a visit in the City of Bones.

She also still had no interest in talking to Jocelyn even when she heard that the woman was being transferred to Idris. Turns out the Clave didn't trust Jocelyn in the very city where her ex-husband was at large. Who would've thought?

The real kicker though was that she wanted Clary to come with her.

Clary didn't get a chance to answer since the Lightwood trio walked up to them.

"Demon attack downtown. One mundane dead," Izzy informed the redhead.

"And we don't have Jace so...you're with us," Alec said reluctantly.

"Wait. You want me on your team?" Clary questioned, glancing at Alec and Serena.

"Believe me, you're not our first choice," Alec spoke for the two of them, "but we're a man down, and everyone else is on patrol. Gear up." Alec then slid past Clary, Serena's hand linked with his as they headed for their room.

20 minutes later, the three of them were hidden behind a glamour wall as Izzy and Serena bent over the body of a dead mundane. Luke had just walked back through the wall after sending off the squad car that had come by in response to a 911 call about a dead body.

"Well, this is one nasty demon, that's for sure," Serena remarked. "Whatever it is punched a hole right through his chest."

"With that kind of strength, I doubt it's done yet," Luke sighed as Izzy took a swab of the wound.

"Nothing in the immediate area," Alec announced as he came back from checking the perimeter, trying to see if he could pick up the demon's trail.

"We're taking the body back to the Institute. Serena and I will run some tests to see what kind of demon we're dealing with," Izzy said as she stood, Serena still looking over the body as she pulled open his eyes to have a look.

"Clary and I will widen the perimeter," Alec said unhappily before he crouched down to kiss Serena's cheek, the woman already having turned her face for him before he rose back to his full height. "Hey, Fray! We got a demon to hunt. Come on."

"Hey Luke, you mind getting the stretcher?" Serena asked the wolf who nodded and went to retrieve it as the blonde crouched back down and looked at the body.

"Come on, S. Are you really still not talking to me? It's been almost a week," Izzy tried to reason with the girl.

Serena stood as she faced her sister and parabatai. "Yeah, it's been almost a week. It's been almost a week since my husband died right in front of me. It's been almost a week since I've hugged my brother. It's been almost a week since you had him arrested!"

"I saved his life!" Izzy yelled back. "Jace would be dead if I hadn't saved him from the wolves. And it's not like he'll stay in the City of Bones forever. The second he touches the Soul Sword, Aldertree will hear the truth that he was never on Valentine's side."