Alec Tries To Die - The Sequel

"There's a clear pattern," Lydia announced loudly as she stood before the assembled New York Institute, minus one person. "Young, strong, highly-skilled fighters, all abducted from boxing clubs, dojos, and gyms. Valentine must've realised that even with the Cup creating Shadowhunters isn't easy. He needs mundanes who are more likely to survive the conversion."

"When did the briefing start? Nobody told me," Clary whispered as she came to stand by Izzy, Serena, and Alec.

"That wasn't an accident," Izzy said regrettably.

"Your job is to stake out the potential targets and catch the Circle members when they try to abduct them. We capture a Circle member, we have a shot at Valentine," Lydia continued.

"And Jace," Alec whispered, his hand linked with his wife's. "That's how we get to him before they try and kill him."

"No one is going to touch him," Serena assured him and he just squeezed her hand as he met her gaze.

"Cool it in front of the boss," Izzy hissed.

"You have your orders. Dismissed," Lydia commanded. Clary then surged forward and tried to beg Lydia to let her help but Aldertree shot that idea down almost instantly.

"Nice to see how well you had things under control here," he remarked after he'd pulled Lydia to the side.

"Stop making this personal."

"The Lightwoods are too close to this. With Jace still out there, it clouds their judgment. Serena's especially."

Lydia actually scoffed. "You try keeping Serena Lightwood out of something that involves her family," she dared. "She is the most knowledgable Shadowhunter we've got on this case and probably with any case we'll ever have. She, Izzy and Alec are the best we've got. They stay in."

As Lydia marched off, shooting Serena a wink as she went, Clary approached the trio of Lightwoods. "Izzy. Serena. Please. You wouldn't want to be benched on this. Let me come with you," she pleaded.

"Did you not hear me before?" Alec asked, referencing their last conversation. "There's no place for you here."

"Alec," Serena said with a warning tone but he simply let go of her hand and marched off. "Make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. I'll be there in a second," she said and Izzy touched her hand before she went after Alec and left Serena to face Clary. "Red, you know as much as the next person that I'd want you there with me, but we're lucky enough that Lydia has been able to keep us in this as long as she has."

"But what Alec said -"

"My husband is going through a lot right now. And I know we didn't necessarily get along in the beginning, but you are my sister. You have a right to be here as much as any of us."

"Serena-"

"Look, just, sit this one out and we'll let you know how it goes. I promise." And Serena squeezed her shoulder before she went after Izzy and Alec.

********************************

The Lightwood trio found themselves in an underground fight club in the back of some electrical warehouse.

"They say that the best fighters in the city come here," Alec said as he pulled the door open for his sister and his wife.

"Well then, that's a good thing," Serena commented.

"It's only a matter of time before Valentine hits this place," Izzy finished as they watched the current fight.

The men that were duelling were tall walls of muscle and tattoo ink. But one, the taller man with paler skin, won as he punched his opponent into the floor, knocking him out with three punches. He then went to collect his prize money as the three approached him.