Plot Twist - Family Politics Gives Jace A Headache This Time

After arriving back at the Institute, Jace had suggested something dire in his anger. That there was a mole in the Institute.

As much as she hated to admit it, he was right. No one else knew about the mission and only someone on the inside could've alerted Valentine so he could send a Shax demon after them. Right now, Jace's main suspect was Lydia. Izzy had mentioned that Hodge filled in the Institute Head when she'd questioned the disappearance of Serena, Clary, and Jace. Since Serena and Lydia were on thin ice, Izzy and Alec had no care for a conversation with her and Jace was way too angry for the task, it was left for Clary to talk to Lydia.

The girls then left, and it was a good thing because Alec was waiting to finally have a talk with his parabatai. Serena and Izzy had tried to get him to open up but aside from admitting that he was in pain, his lips were as tight as a clam.

"So, Clary being your sister, what's up with that?" he asked bluntly and Jace couldn't help but laugh at him.

"Tactful as ever, Alec, but don't get me started on that," Jace sighed before he took a seat and rubbed his face tiredly.

"Well, you know I don't sugarcoat things. And it's either you talk to me now or Serena is going to force you to listen to one of her big sister lectures about how bottling things up is bad for you."

Jace scoffed. "Two minutes older and she thinks she can give big sister lectures. And she does the bottling stuff too!"

"Oh, don't I know it," Alec agreed as he sat down next to Jace. "There are certain bottles that I haven't even opened yet. But we're not talking about her. We're talking about you."

Jace let out a heavy sigh. "I kissed Clary, man. And what's worse is I wanted her. I was falling in love and I'm sick or something because I - "

"You're not sick," Alec interjected. "You're not sick. The whole situation is just confusing. Trust me. I know."

"How would you know?" Jace questioned and Alec only grinned.

"I was in your shoes. You, Serena, me, and Izzy were all raised as siblings together for years. I see you as my brother but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't see Serena as my sister. I fell in love with her and I thought I was sick too."

"Yeah, but the difference is that we're not blood-related. Rena was never your sister to begin with, no matter how we were raised."

"Semantics. She was supposed to be my sister for all intents and purposes and yet I married her. You're not sick, Jace. You didn't know. You're just confused and that's ok," Alec assured him.

Jace was struggling to keep it together and Alec could tell that he didn't want to cry. "Do you remember how nervous I was the day I had to tell Mom and Dad that I was dating Serena?"

Jace had to laugh. "Yeah. You were sweating through your shirt and Serena couldn't stop laughing at you."

"And you kept saying how you wondered what she saw in me? Before Serena smacked you in the head."

Jace laughed again. "Yeah. And for what it's worth, thank you for taking such good care of my sister. There's no one else that I would trust with the heart of my twin."

Alec put his hand on Jace's shoulder. "Even if you didn't like me, you know you'd have no say in the matter because once Serena makes up her mind..."

"There's no changing it." Jace reached out to put his hand on Alec's shoulder as well. "It's good to have you back, Alec."

"It's good to have you back too."

And as the two brothers ended their conversation on a high note, two sisters were ending their conversation the same way.