game day

Margos POV

A left school a little early. My head was really killing me today. I took more pain pills before my nap, I really needed sleep. I crashed on the couch as soon as I made it inside.

------

"Danny." Billy says.
"Danny." Billy says again. The third time I jolt awake. I was in a cold sweat. I look around and remember I took a nap, but it's pitch black outside. I must've been out longer than I inticipacted. I hold my blanket close to my body. I swear I heard Billy's voice and he's the only one who calls me Danny. I started to hyperventilate/cry. I couldn't control my emotions. Hearing Billy's voice didn't just scare me, it made me miss that part of him. It was too real. Then I began to remember some things Billy has told me. The number one thing that is always in my head.
"Why are you just the best thing that has ever happened to me?"
He said this while we at lovers lake. I wouldn't stop replaying it in my head. I needed to go somewhere, get away. I got up, took a shower and got ready. I'll just go to Max's, I know I can talk to her about this. I didn't want to go to any of the games, not after the stupid shit that happened today.

------

I knocked on Max's door, I skated here like always.
"Hey." Max hugged me and let me inside. Susan was passed out on the couch. That's typically how I see Susan, passed out or gone. Ever since Neil, she changed. Part of me feels like it's my fault. But I think max and Susan will eventually have a better life without an abuser. That's one thing that makes me happy that Billy's not here. He doesn't have to deal with his abusive father.
"You want some pizza? We got some leftover from earlier." Max says and I sit down at their dining table along with her. I take a slice and start to eat it.
"Thanks." I say and max smiles. Her smile quickly fades like normal.
"Can I talk to you about something?" I whisper on accident. Max nods yes.
"I heard Billy. I mean I guess I was dreaming. I saw him, walking towards me and he was calling my name. Well, saying Danny, because he only ever called me that." I tell her. Sometimes it's difficult to talk to max about what goes on in my head. But I never tell anyone else. Like right now, I felt so anxious to tell her that. But she always helps out. I know she understands, cause she deals with it as well.
"I've had a dream just like that but it turned into a nightmare. Was it a good dream?" She asks me. A smile creeps up on my face as I think about it. It wasn't terrifying, I just got to see Billy as himself.
"Yes, it was a good dream." I smile big and wipe my eyes. I still felt extremely tired. I'm not going to be able to finish this pizza. Max smiles at me and I give her a gentle hug. I was okay, once again. We hear Susan stir in her sleep.
"Let's go to my room." Max says so we get up and go to her room. I automatically feel comfortable on her bed.
"I don't know if I've ever told you this but I'm grateful for you." I say to max, I see her genuinely smile. "You've been through so much but I'm glad we can have each other. You're so mature and smart for your age." I add on and grab her hand. She needed to know the truth.
"I don't know what I'd do without you." Max replies. I see her get sad even though she doesn't want to. I can't help but relate to that. I just start softly laughing for no reason, which makes max uncontrollably laugh as well.

-------