gates

Margos POV

The brightness from outside flashed me as I came back to reality. My head hurt because he was inside of it. I was limp and fell but Eddie caught me. I had to catch my breathe and take in my scenery. Everyone looked so worried.
"God Margo." Eddie huffed as I was in his arms. The same way Max was in Lucas's the other day. He moved over a bit to look at me but he was still holding me.
"I'm fine guys." I exhaled and wiped my face. I didn't feel like crying anymore. I'm just shocked I made it out. Even though I was being positive the whole time I still felt like I wouldn't make it. Eddie helped me stand up. As soon as I did Max rammed into me for a tight hug.
"It's okay Max." I whispered and held her. "I don't know how you went through that. I'm shocked I did." I tell her. She finally let's me go and we smile at one another.
"Guys really I'm fine, can we just move on please." I say, everyone still silent. I go on to explain to them that we saw Patrick die and ran off. They tell us how they went to Victor Creels house to find answers. Eddie and I snack on the food they brought us and sit under skull rock as they listen to us.
"Do you know what time it was, the attack?" Nancy asks. I shrug but then Eddie speaks up.
"Yeah, I know exactly what time it was. My walkie wasn't the only thing that got soaked." Eddie answers and throws her his watch.
"9:27" she says.
"Same time our flashlights went kablooey." Robin inputs.
"Which means what exactly?" Steve asks.
"That the surge of energy was vecna attacking Patrick." She answered.
"Well we're one step closer. We know how vecna attacks." Robin says.
"And where he attacks from." Lucas adds on.
"So now we just have to sneak into his lair in the upside down and drive a stake through his heart." Max says.
"If he has a heart." I scoff.
"A stake? Is he a vamp, is he a vampire?" Steve questions. I roll my eyes at him.
"It was a metaphor." Max answers.
"A bullet should work on him, right?" Eddie asks. He looks over at me and I shrug and nod.
"I say we chop his head off." Lucas inputs.
"All of the above but we can't do any of that til we find away into the upside down." Nancy chimes in.
"We need El to get her powers back." Max replies.
"Everything was way easier. We had this girl who had super powers." Steve said to Eddie.
"Yeah no shit. We brought it up and I told him about her afterward." I say to Steve.
"Yeah you mentioned it." Eddie says to him. I roll my eyes at Steve and he puts his hands up in defense. I can't with Steve.
"Henderson's not uh, he's not cursed, is he?" Eddie asks and we look at Dustin, whose pacing around.
"Cursed, no, no. He's fine. Mental, absolutely." Steve replies.
"Boom, bada bada... Boom. I was right" Dustin shouts at Steve. They argue about his compass. How it told them this way was north the whole time but it wasn't because the compass was being affected by an electromagnetic field. But Dustin tells us how this is how they first found out there was a gate at the lab. So, he suspects that there is a gate nearby us. We just have to find out where. Dustin tries to walk away but Steve stops him.
"Eddie's a wanted man. We can't just go for a hike in the woods." Steve says to Dustin.
"This little steel capsule might be the way to saving Eddie, Max and Margo. What do you say Eddie the banished?" Dustin asks Eddie. We all look at him for a response.
"I say you're asking me to follow you into Mordor. Which if I'm totally straight with you, I think is a really bad idea. But the Shire... The Shire is burning so...Mordor it is." Eddie says and I playfully roll my eyes at him. We both stand up and make way with the group. I shove Eddie as we follow them.
"You're a nerd." I tell Eddie and give him a smile.

-------

It had grown dark once we finally found the possible gate. And Dustin almost fell into it as well.
"Lovers lake?" Robin asks.
"Patrick died here." I stated.
"Whenever the demogorgan attacked it always left an opening, maybe vecnas the same way." Nancy says.
"Only one to find out." Steve replies. Eddie reveals our boat that we left nearby on the land. I turn to Max.
"Just be safe, okay?" I tell her.
"We'll be fine, it won't be long." She replies.
"I know but just in case." I say and hug her tightly. One by one we all get in. It was definitely full. Dustin protested by Nancy standed her ground. I'm starting to like her more. Eddie and Robin sat in the front, while Steve and Nancy were in the back. I was kind of in the middle, of Eddie and Nancy. We left Lucas, Max and Dustin on the land.
"Bedtime is at nine kids! Miss you already!" Robin shouts at the kids.
"Don't taunt them." I say and she sticks her tongue out at me. I laugh and shove her. Robin and Eddie paddle while Nancy watches the compass. A memory of Billy and I flashes in my mind and I quickly try and forget about it. I don't want to be sad right now. I've actually felt okay lately, despite everything. I survived vecna, teenage boys and I'm with my friends. It's a weird feeling but I'm fine.
"Wow, slow down, slow down." Nancy speaks up making Robin and Eddie stop paddling. We all look at her to see the compass going insane. Guess we found the gate. Robin walkies Dustin to let him know we found the gate but we don't hear anything back. I get a tad bit worried but try to overlook it. Steve started to take his shoes off.
"Steve what are you doing?" Nancy asks him.
"Somebody's gotta go down there and check this thing out. Unless one of you can top being a Hawkins swim co-captain and a certified lifeguard for three years then it's gotta be me. No complaints, all right?" Steve replies.
"None from me." I put my hands up in defense.
"Hey, I'm not complaining, I don't not want to go down there." Eddie replies. Then, he pulls a bag out of his jacket as Steve undresses. Robin and I catch Nancy stare at Steve's bare chest which makes me accidentally snort out a small laugh, I play if off as a cough.
"Good luck." Eddie tells Steve and hands him a flash light inside of his plastic bag. Eddie tries to light a cigarette but Robin quickly takes it from him.
"Gross." She says and throws it in the lake.
"Hey I wanted one of those." I interject and she gives me a disguisted look. Nancy tells Steve to be careful and just like that he's in the water. We wait for a while, minutes for sure. I could tell Nancy was on edge, counting down the time. Suddenly, Steve comes up and scares us all. Robin slightly yelped and Eddie scream 'oh Christ' out loud. I giggled from Eddie's reaction and he gave me an annoyed look. I smacked his arm because of that. These people need to lighten up, geez.
"I found it." Steve said. Robin tries to walkie Dustin to let him know but once again we don't hear anything back. So we just listen to Steve.
"It's pretty wild. It's more like a snack-size gate than the mama gate but still it's pretty damn big." He says. Then, something makes him nudge down in the water. He looks confused and we don't hear anything for a second. In that since, Steve gets completely pulled under the water. We all scream out his name. Eddie freaks out but Nancy thinks fast. Immediately, she dives into the water without hesitation. Robin yells her name and acts like she's gonna go next.
"Robin wait." I try and stop her.
"What are you doing? Nancy said wait." Eddie inputs.
"I heard her." Robin replies.
"She's in charge." Eddie says.
"Are you kidding me. I made that shit up." Robin says before she falls backwards into the lake.
"Robin!" I shout and panic. "Damnit Eddie." I say and stand up with him.
"No, no. God dammit!" He screams.
"Eddie, I have to go for Robin." I say but he puts his hands on my shoulders.
"No, come on. Let's just get help." He replies. I shake my head no. We can't, not with him being wanted.
"Eddie please come with me." I plead him, he gives me a defeated look. I quickly dive into the water. I push my arms back hard, trying to get to the bottom of the lake. It takes a minute but I see a red opening. I feel extremely terrified but I have to do this. I push through the opening and pull myself up out of the ground. Everywhere around me is dark, stormy like. I see Robin and Nancy fitting off bats. And Steve getting hurt by some. I start walking to them and then see Eddie slowly come up out of the opening. I urgently help him out of it before we make our way to everyone.

-------