Prologue

The first tangible memory the kit had was being carried, swaying back and forth. She could smell Mother, but she could not feed, nor hear Mother's comforting purr. She was cold, yet her instincts kept her from crying out; she was being carried, therefore she must remain still and quiet.

Mother carried her for it seemed lifetimes to the kit. Her body was sore from staying still, and her small grey belly hurt from hunger, and yet Mother carried her.

The kit began to be dimly aware of a scent. It was a strong scent left from many cats. The kit could faintly hear voices, and she peeled her eyes open, letting out a mew at last.

Mother set her down on the dusty ground, and the kit immediately began crawling closer to feed.

"Willowbranch, what is the meaning of this?"

"I can't do this anymore. I can't be a mother.”

The kit let out a mew, clawing at her Mother's paws.

“Willowbranch, this is ridiculous. You are a-”

“Who let the traitor in?”

“Willowbranch! Are you-”

“Go get the Leader!”

“Traitor!”

The kit let out another mew, the noise scaring her. She felt her mother take a step away from her.

“Silence.”

The noise stopped suddenly, and the kit turned her small bleary eyes to the cat who'd spoken. It was a she-cat, fur a rich brown color.

“Acornstar.” Mother said.

“Willowbranch. Why do you dare to return?” Acornstar said, voice even.

“My kit,” The kit felt Mother nudge her with her paw, “I cannot care for her. I came to give her to my sister.”

“We don't want your traitor-”

“Silence.” Acornstar interrupted, “Where is your mate?”

There was a pause, and then; “He died. Two nights ago, from a dog.” Mother's voice cracked with sorrow, and the kit once again let out a mew.

“And why have you come here? You know you are not welcome.” Acornstar said.

“Acornstar, if I may speak…” Another voice said.

“You may, Pebbleclaw.”

“We need as many cats as we can get. Ever since the split, our numbers are too few.”

There was silence, in which the kit let out a mew. She understood little of the conversation, her mind clouded with hunger and need for her mother.

“It is up to Riverflower,” Acornstar said at last.

The cats parted, leaving one gray colored cat standing alone. Mother immediately moved toward her, “Sister! Please, you must help me. Help my kit!”

The she-cat glared back at her, head high. “You are a traitor, and do not deserve to call me family.”

“Traitor! Kick her out!” The cats began to chant again, pressing closer.

“Please sister,” Mother whimpered.

The she-cat lifted her head even higher, “But, for the sake of my kits… Pebbleclaw is right. We need more hunters.”

The cats fell silent again, and Mother took a step closer, “Do I mean nothing to you?”

“Correct. Nothing.” Riverflower snarled back, “but I will give this little traitor kit the benefit of the doubt.” and she walked over, passing her broken sister, to pick up the small, mewing kit. And without a second glance, she turned her back on her only sister.

The Life And Adventures of Ivyshadowजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें