Chapter 10 - Moon 7

The following morning, Ivypaw awoke later than usual, the sun already casting its glow through the brambles of the apprentice den. Grateful to Blackstripe for allowing her some extra sleep, she yawned before emerging from the now-empty den, blinking in the bright sunlight.

"Ivypaw, you're awake!"

Ivypaw turned to see Birchpaw and Winterpaw looking at her, Winterpaw looking as stoic as ever and Birchpaw... she turned wildly, looking for a way to avoid him.

Spotting Blackstripe, she gave them an apologetic wave of her tail and ran over to him. "I'm awake! What are we doing today?" She panted.

"I love the enthusiasm," Blackstripe meowed, pleasantly surprised, "I was thinking we could do a bit of hunting, maybe with Snowpaw or Redpaw."

"Yeah! That sounds great!" Ivypaw could feel Birchpaw's gaze on her, and it took everything she had in her not to turn and look.

Blackstripe turned to Runningmouse and Pebbleclaw, who'd he'd been talking to. "Pebbleclaw? How does that sound?"

"Sounds perfect! Snowpaw hasn't done anything besides dawn patrol early this morning, it should be great for her," he turned to Ivypaw, "would you mind finding her?"

Yes, Ivypaw would mind. She hadn't talked to her sister since the river incident, and she had been fine with that. "No, I don't mind! I'll go get her," Ivypaw meowed before turning around.

As her eyes scanned the camp for Snowpaw, they snagged on Birchpaw. How had she not realized she had feelings for him? No, I can't have feelings for him. He's a MEDICINE CAT. Ivypaw shook away the thoughts, and wrenched her gaze away from him. She quickly spotted Snowpaw sitting alone, nibbling on a mouse.

After a quick walk (leaving a wide circle around Birchpaw) Ivypaw stopped in front of her sister. "Pebbleclaw wants you." Her words felt stiff and awkward.

Snowpaw looked up, her pretty eyes mirroring Ivypaw's awkwardness. "Oh, okay."

The four of them headed out into the forest, Pebbleclaw and Blackstripe walking ahead with Ivypaw and Snowpaw behind. The two sisters walked in silence for a while, Ivypaw conscious of every sound and step.

Finally, Snowpaw cleared her throat. "Um, Ivypaw. I just wanted to..." she trailed off.

Ivypaw glanced over at her, shocked to see sadness and guilt in the she-cats eyes. "It's okay," Ivypaw meowed, surprising herself, "I forgive you."

Snowpaw's blue eyes flitted up, and the look she gave Ivypaw made forgiving her worth it. It was as if a huge weight was lifting from off her shoulders to reveal a light, carefree cat underneath. It wasn't a side on her Ivypaw had seen before, not the arrogant kit of the quiet apprentice, but a warrior. "Thanks," she whispered.

"Here is perfect!" Pebbleclaw called, jarring Ivypaw and Snowpaw from their moment.

Ivypaw turned to see Pebbleclaw gesturing to a clearing up ahead. "We can practice crouches here before we move on to actual prey."

Blackstripe nodded in agreement, "Ivypaw hasn't learned any mouse or rabbit crouches, should we start with those?"

Ivypaw nodded, excited to start learning. It still bugged her that it was something Winterpaw was good at, and she was determined to prove herself. As the mentors began demonstrating the proper crouches, she paid close attention, eager to absorb the skills that would make her a skilled

Beside her, Snowpaw seemed equally focused, determination replacing the earlier guilt in her eyes. The sisters exchanged a glance, a silent understanding passing between them.