Chapter 30 - Moon 17

Everyone was on edge as they padded back into camp. There was something unnerving about worrying if your own leader would just give you up in exchange for land. Ivyshadow ran immediately to Runningmouse, telling him all she knew.

Runningmouse's eyes widened when he heard Acornstar had tried to give away Petalkit. "She wouldn't really do that... would she?" He sighed, "so my brother is dead." His voice was dull, unconnected. As if it was too many deaths to register.

"Cobaltwhisper is alive," Ivyshadow knew that fact wouldn't make his grief lessen, but it was all she could think to say.

Runningmouse nodded, "We were the closest, Cobaltwhisper and I. I wish I could comfort her now."

"I call all cats of Tall Trees to gather for a clan meeting!" Acornstar leapt up on the stump as soon as she got back.

The cats immediately gathered, tension high. Ivyshadow spotted Snowfall prying information out of Winterthorn, and she settled next to them, Runningmouse at her side.

"For those who weren't at the gathering, we have exchanged help and prey for the stretch of land near the Twolegplace." Her eyes scanned the cats, before landing on Ivyshadow and Runningmouse. "Runningmouse."

No, please don't take him, Ivyshadow though desperately. What sort of trauma would Runningmouse go through, having to see all that for himself?

"You will be tasked with catching the three rabbits. I want them as soon as possible, I do not enjoy being indebted."

Runningmouse nodded, glancing at Ivyshadow. She knew he'd been hoping to go to his birth clan.

"As for-"

"YOU TRIED TO GIVE AWAY MY KIT?!?" Larktail leapt to her feet. Apparently Branchfall had just told her what had happened. "How dare you?" Larktail hissed, her tail thrashing.

"She is not your kit," Acornstar narrowed her eyes, "she's a kittypet."

Larktail's claws slid out, and Branchfall had to step in between the two she-cats. "She is our kit," he meowed quietly, "and if Marblestar had taken her, we would've stopped at nothing to get her back."

To Ivyshadow's surprise, she felt tears well in her eyes. She blinked them away rapidly; why was she crying? Her eyes snagged on Riverflower, the cat who'd adopted her. She knew without doubt that Riverflower wouldn't have cared if Acornstar sold Ivyshadow to Falling Rock.

"I understand your confusion," Acornstar responded curtly, "I had no intention of actually giving Petalkit away. Marblestar is a father himself; I knew he wouldn't take her."

"You didn't know for sure," Larktail spat. Branchfall was doing all he could to keep Larktail back.

Acornstar met Larktail's eyes without remorse. "We can speak later in private."

Larktail glared back, but the older she-cat didn't say anything else.

"As I was saying, three cats will join Falling Rock for two moons." Acornstar's eyes pierced her clan, "The first two: Ivyshadow and her apprentice Forestpaw."

Why am I not surprised. Ivyshadow sighed. Of course Acornstar would send the replaceable warrior. Ivtshadow glanced towards Forestpaw. Her apprentice was sitting next to Goldpaw near the back, looking shell-shocked.

"The final cat will be Redclaw."

Ivyshadow's eyes snapped back to her leader, shocked. Why Redclaw, of alp cats?

"I trust you will honor our clan well while you are there." Acornstar's eyes moved from Ivyshadow, to Forestpaw, to Redclaw. "I trust that you will retain as many... secrets as possible. This meeting is dismissed."