Chapter 6 - Moon 5

The next day Ivykit woke up late, legs still sore. Redkit was the only other kit in the nursery, Snowkit was in Birchpaw's den. She stretched her legs, shaking out her paws. It was strange, waking up with the sun instead of Violetkit's tormenting. Is Violetkit okay? She wondered, Violetkit slept alone somewhere out of their territory, and now she had to try to hunt. "I hope she doesn't catch anything," Ivykit muttered.

Outside the nursery, the dawn patrol was just returning. Winterpaw was among them, and when he spotted her, he padded over. "Did you hear?"

"Hear what? About Violetkit?"

"No, Acornstar said-"

"I call all cats of Tall Trees to gather for a clan meeting!"

"W-what is it?"

Winterpaw didn't reply, instead settling down to watch.

"Riverflower, your kits have reached six moons of age, but I believe they are not ready to be apprenticed." Acornstar's quiet voice carried across the clearing.

Riverflower looked down at her paws, looking embarrassed.

"But, Ivykit. You have shown considerable bravery when you rescued Snowkit from the river."

Ivykit froze. Was she? Could she? But not, she was only 5 moons old.

"Ivykit, step forward."

Ivykit stared in shock up at her leader. She? Step forward? Winterpaw stepped on her tail painfully, and she leapt forward before padding up the stump.

"Ivykit, you have nearly reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Ivypaw. Your mentor will be Blackstripe. I hope Blackstripe will pass down all he knows to you."

Ivykit didn't dare to take her eyes off her leader, but she felt the tom step up beside her.

"Blackstripe, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Windfur, and you have shown yourself to be brave and strong. You will be the mentor of Ivypaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Ivypaw."

Blackstripe leaned down, his nose touching Ivykit's.

"Ivypaw! Ivypaw! Ivypaw!"

Ivypaw turned to look at her clan, warmth spreading along her fur. She spotted the people she knew, yelling her name; Windfur, Birchpaw, Winterpaw, and even Snowkit and Redkit.

"So, Ivypaw, it nice to meet you," Blackstripe meowed.

Ivypaw. IvyPAW. Ivypaw. "Nice to meet you too!" She responded, beaming.

Blackstripe was a warrior she vaugly knew as Sunshine's devoted mate and had never had a conversation with him before. He looked equally as excited as her, "Should I show you around the territory?"

Ivypaw decided not to mention the fact that she'd already seen part of the territory, instead nodding.

It was her first time going out of the camp through the entrance, and she felt her excitement building with every step.

"So, do you know the Warrior Code by heart?" Blackstripe asked as they padded through the soft glows of the forest.

Ivypaw shook her head, embarrassed, "I don't know it all."

Blackstripe smiled warmly, "Don't worry, neither did I. The first and most important thing Windfur taught me was the Warrior Code."

"Windfur was your mentor?" Ivypaw asked, surprised.