Chapter 20, Moon 12

The next day, Ivyshadow woke up early. She glanced around the sleeping Warrior's den, feeling excited. Her second day as a warrior!

Most of the cats were still sleeping; Branchfall and Winterthorn, (both sleeping alone), Riverflower and Oakwhisker sleeping facing away from each other (likely caused by another fight) Sunshine and Blackstripe curled up, Sunshine's head resting on Blackstripe's shoulder.

Ivyshadow padded out into the chilly air, sidestepping a falling leaf. Runningmouse, Daypaw and Pebbleclaw looked up as she approached, Pebbleclaw greeting her with a nod. "Would you like to join us for dawn patrol?"

Would she like to? It was strange having a choice; she could say no I'd she wanted to. But dawn patrol was fun, and she liked Runningmouse and Pebbleclaw... "Sure, okay!" Ivyshadow meowed.

They left the camp together, Ivyshadow breathing in the cool air. She'd been too young to remember fall or winter, and it was beautiful. The gold, red and yellow leaves drifted down around them, creating a pleasant crunch as they walked. Ivyshadow loved the forest, and had done so ever since she was a kit. I can't imagine what my mother must have gone through, having to leave this place, Ivyshadow thought with a pang of sympathy. Part of her still blamed her mother for essentially abandoning her kit to her cold sister, but another part of Ivyshadow sympathized with her. She couldn't have been so much older than Ivyshadow was now.

"Have you seen Ava yet this morning? Did she look okay?" Runningmouse was suddenly next to her. Ivyshadow startled.

"Oh, um, I haven't talked to her yet," Ivyshadow meowed. Didn't you see me walk out of the Warrior's Den?

"Ah. Okay," he paused, looking awkward, "okay, well, tell me if you do."

Ivyshadow watched the tom fall back to talk to Daypaw, and she felt a strange prick of annoyance. Why did he care so much about Ava? She was just a kittypet. Ivyshadow turned forward, deciding to catch up with Pebbleclaw. She was, after all, nearly his equal now. She should get to know her clanmates more. "Has hunting been good with you?"

He nodded, blinking his warm green eyes, "Yes, excellent! I'm hoping it's a sign of an easy leaf-bare," he cocked his head, "Good for your friends too."

"My friends?" Ivyshadow asked.

"Violetpaw, Snowpaw and Redpaw. It's their warrior assessment today."

Ivyshadow did not know how any cat could be so clueless to think that she was friends with the cat who had been banished for LITERALLY trying to kill her, but let it slide. "I didn't realize it was today!" Ivyshadow had the urge to run back and warn her sister.

"Yes, It's why I let her sleep in today. She will make a wonderful warrior. So eager to learn, and smart too! Although, she does worry a little too much about getting her paws dirty..." Pebbleclaw chuckled, and Ivyshadow herself let out a laugh.

"That sounds like her." Ivyshadow hadn't considered the fact that Pebbleclaw and Snowpaw were probably just as close as she and Blackstripe were. Snowpaw never talked about Pebbleclaw, but then again, Ivyshadow didn't usually talk about Blackstripe either.

The patrol approached the border, and Ivyshadow wrinkled her nose. She never liked the smell of the other Clans, but especially the Clan of Swaying Grass. Pebbleclaw frowned, "They moved that spot. For a whole fox-length it's about a cat's tail less land for us."

Ivyshadow stared at the border. She couldn't see any difference, and was impressed that Pebbleclaw could.

"It was probably a mistake," Runningmouse ventured, sounding cautious.

Pebbleclaw nodded, "Good call. Let's just mark our scent straight in the area, and I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of days."

Runningmouse nodded in agreement, turning to his apprentice to explain the importance of borders.