Chapter 37 - Moon 20

Ivyshadow woke up early the next morning. She lifted her head, and immediately she felt a sharp pain in her temple. She frowned, resting her head back on her nest. Do I have to get up today? Won't it be easier just to go to sleep and never wake up?

Ivyshadow sighed, getting to her feet slowly. She felt sick to her stomach, and her head wouldn't stop pounding. Great, I'm sick on top of everything. Ivyshadow glared down at her nest. How could you do this to me, Runningmouse? How could you leave me?

Ivyshadow stepped outside, blinking in the glaring sunlight. Sunshine looked up from the center of the clearing, stepping from one foot to the other nervously. “Ivyshadow! Good morning!”

Ivyshadow nodded in return, walking blearily past her towards the apprentice's den.

“Would you- er, would you ever…?” Sunshine stumbled over her words.

Ivyshadow glanced back, “would I what?” She knew she sounded snappy, but she couldn't find the strength to care.

“Sorry,” Sunshine looked down at her paws, “I'm still new to this whole deputy thing. Would you want to join me and Petalpaw for Dawn patrol?”

Ivyshadow dipped her head in acknowledgment, turning back to wake Forestpaw. She'd forgotten that Sunshine was the new deputy. It was an odd choice; Ivyshadow would have chosen Blackstripe over her.

“Can't we go on Dawn Patrol later?” Forestpaw complained, “I'm tired.”

“If we went later, it wouldn't be called Dawn Patrol,” Ivyshadow pointed out.

Forestpaw sighed dramatically, getting slowly to his feet, “can we do battle practice later today?”

Ivyshadow gritted her teeth to stop from snapping back harshly. She wasn't in the mood for his antics.

They joined the others and set off quickly into the forest. Ivyshadow walked in silence, Forestpaw falling behind to walk with Petalpaw. Sunshine padded quietly beside her, shooting her occasional looks of pity.

They paused to scent a stump near the Falling Rock border, Sunshine showing Petalpaw what to do. Ivyshadow watched a mouse nibbling on a hazelnut, sudden anger flaring inside her. How dare he leave her? All she wanted was him beside her. Was that really too much to ask?

Couldn't you have just stayed? Ivyshadow thought harshly, glaring at the creature. It moved on to the next fallen nut, picking it up to tap it with its white paws. It even looks like him, Ivyshadow realized. Was this him sending her something from Rising Star? You have the power to send me signs, but not visit my dreams? Ivyshadow's mind flashed back to the tortured dreams she'd been having ever since his death. Can't you just-

Forestpaw leapt on the mouse, leaning down and snapping his throat in one quick motion. He sat up, his tail swishing proudly, “Ivyshadow, look what I-”

“You killed him!” Ivyshadow leapt forward, slashing Forestpaw's cheek. She shoved him aside, huddling over the broken body of the mouse. Her legs began shaking, her ears pinned back. “Runningmouse!” She began licking the mouse, trying desperately to revive it.

“Ivyshadow?” Sunshine turned around, startled.

Ivyshadow fell to her knees, shaking uncontrollably. “I'm sorry,” She whispered to him. It wasn't his fault, it was hers. If only she'd paid more attention to him in the days leading up to his death. If only she'd followed Runningmouse to the Medicine Cat Den, if only she'd stayed beside him like a mate was supposed to do. He must know it's my fault, that's why he hasn't visited me, Ivyshadow realized.