Chapter 28 - Moon 16

Over the next week, both Ivyshadow and Runningmouse normally would have taken time to rest, to mourn Windfur's death. But as the prey pile depleted, hunger kept everyone hunting. It was five days after Windfur's death Ivyshadow decided to finally give Forestpaw a break from hunting practice.

"Forestpaw, how about some battle training today?" Ivyshadow asked.

Forestpaw's eyes lit up for the first time in days, "really? When? Now?"

Ivyshadow laughed, pleased to see his mood improve instantly. "Now is as good a time as any! Can you go find another apprentice?"

She'd barely finished her sentence when the young tom burst off. It was disrespectful, but Ivyshadow let it go; she didn't want to ruin his mood. "Please don't find Goldpaw," Ivyshadow muttered under her breath. The last thing she needed was a training session with Violetfang.

Thankfully, Forestpaw came back with Riverflower and Morningpaw in tow. Ivyshadow gave a respectful nod to her adopted mother, who curtly returned the gesture. "Would you two like to do some battle training with us?" Ivyshadow asked Riverflower.

"It really would be better to get some hunting done..." Riverflower meowed snobbily.

"Please please please??" Morningpaw meowed, "I really want to show Forestpaw that I can beat him."

Ivyshadow frowned. Forestpaw hadn't been trained yet, so of course Morningpaw could beat him. Forestpaw seemed to disagree, whipping his tail back and forth, "Ha! We'll see who beats who!"

Riverflower glanced down at Ivyshadow's tiny apprentice, causing a trickle of insecurity to form in Ivyshadow's mind. "Hmm," Riverflower said finally, "I suppose we'll see if your apprentice is really as good as he claims."

Ivyshadow sighed. Curse Forestpaw and his mouth. "Let's keep the competition out of it." Ivyshadow said calmly, then turned to head out.

Forestpaw caught up to her, leaving Morningpaw and Riverflower behind. "Don't worry Ivyshadow, I won't disappoint you!"

"Don't worry about it," Ivyshadow meowed, feeling guilty, "it's not a competition."

Despite her words, Forestpaw only seemed to grow more determined. He glanced back at the others, although they were barely visible through the snow. "What's a good fighting move?" He whispered, "Goldpaw has taught me some, but I can't remember them."

Ivyshadow smiled, "there's no fighting move I can teach you while walking, and-" Ivyshadow's smile dropped. "How does Goldpaw know how to fight?"

Forestpaw shrugged, "Violetfang hasn't taught her to hunt yet."

Ivyshadow narrowed her eyes, "It's leaf-bare, and Violetfang isn't hunting?"

"I know," Forestpaw sympathized, "It's not fair."

Ivyshadow tried to think of a way to help Goldpaw as she walked. Ivyhsadow knew how different her life was because Violetfang was around. How even seeing Violetfang's unnerving eyes sent a shiver of fear down Ivyshadow's spine. She couldn't imagine the truma Goldpaw would face. Was it finally time to stand up to Violetfang? But how?

They reached the training hollow only to find it covered in snow up to their shoulders. Curse the snow, Ivyshadow thought. As she and Forestpaw worked, a horrible thought came to mind. Was this how Windfur felt when he died? The snow was so cold it hurt her paws, and stuck to her fur. Windfur. Ivyshadow felt a stab of grief. He had been her first friend, and had always been there to guide her through situations she'd been unsure about. Why didn't I talk to him more?

"Are we going to train?" Forestpaw asked unapologetically.

Ivyshadow nodded, trying to force the grief out. She still hadn't had time to properly mourn Windfur's death, but it seemed like she would never have enough time. "Okay, I was thinking we could do some one on one, then we could each tell our apprentices what they need to improve on afterwards."