Chapter 36 - Moon 19

Chaos broke out immediately. Ivyshadow was running, everything else a blur around her. Runningmouse, Runningmouse, Runningmouse.

Ivyshadow leapt into the den, only to crash into Violetfang.

“Out of the way!” Violetfang hissed, attempting to sidestep her.

She was trying to escape. Ivyshadow felt a laugh bubble up inside her, her vision swimming. Violetfang thought she could escape. How wrong she was.

She slammed Violetfang to the ground and leaned over her, swiftly sinking her fangs onto Violetfang’s throat. She bit down until she heard a crack of fragile bones breaking. Violetfang's unnerving eyes widened, then went glassy. Her body convulsed once, twice… then was still.

Ivyshadow did not stay to gloat. She leapt over her sister's body and into the den, crouching over her mate. “Runningmouse.” she whispered.

He was lying on his side as if he was sleeping. As if he was waiting for Ivyshadow to curl beside him. His dark brown eyes stared blankly forward. His chest did not move.

Ivyshadow's legs shook, but she did not fall. He was dead. Her Runningmouse was dead. The brave, amazing, sweet cat she loved was dead.

How?

Why?

Ivyshadow bent down to lay beside him, curling up against his belly like she did so many nights before. Like she would never do again. She half expected him to laugh, to ask her how her day was. “How are you, Ivy?” His voice sounded, clear as day, in her head.

Ivyshadow buried herself into her fur, letting his pine scent wash over her. She began to shake, her muscles twitching uncontrollably. How could this be real? He had survived so much.

“Ivyshadow.” Snowfall’s voice was far away, “I'm sorry.”

It didn't matter. Nothing mattered anymore. He was dead. A ripple, a movement twitched in her stomach, and Ivyshadow froze. A small being inside her kicked, gently pushing against the inside of her stomach. She was pregnant with his kits.

Ivyshadow pressed her nose into his fur, beginning to sob. “You didn't leave me alone, my love.”

I'm sorry, Ivy. His voice sounded in her ear, then slowly faded away, traveling upwards. I'm so sorry.

○○○

Ivyshadow blinked open her eyes against the sunlight, then frowned. Sunlight? She blinked again, turning to check if Runningmouse was already up. There was nobody behind her. Ivyshadow glanced around, frowning. Why had she fallen asleep in the middle of the camp?

A small thought began pricking at the back of his mind, a thought telling her the truth. She shoved it away. Where was Runningmouse?

She stood up, glancing around the crowded camp. A few cats shot sympathetic looks her way, even giving her nods of understanding. Anger spiked in her, coming faster than lightning. How dare they stare at her as if something was wrong? Everything was fine! And where was Runningmouse? She needed Runningmouse, didn't anyone understand that?

“Ivyshadow? Do you mind if I sit next to you?” Snowfall asked, padding over.

Ivyshadow looked up at her, and the truth she had pushed away threatened to come up again. “Have you seen Runningmouse? I want him.”

Snowfall’s eyes filled with pity. “Ivyshadow…”

Ivyshadow's resolve trembled, but she shoved the truth even deeper inside of her, “stop looking at me like that. Where is he?”