Chapter 12 - Moon 8

The next morning, Blackstripe woke her up bright and early as usual. "Battle practice," he whispered before shaking Redpaw with the same words.

Ivypaw stretched, eying her brother. She had been lucky enough so far to not train with him, and she didn't really know how she stood with him. Was he still the same cat he'd been as a kit? She doubted it. All he'd been was Violetkit's sidekick, and now he had to find his own path.

The two apprentices met their mentors in the middle of the camp. Branchfall, Larktail's mate, was Redpaw's mentor. He was the perfect match for Larktail; where she was fierce and strong-willed, he was steadfast and understanding.

"You ready?" Branchfall asked, his brown ears twitched, chasing a fly away.

Redpaw nodded, looking eager, and Ivypaw reluctantly echoed him. Fighting practice with Redpaw was feeling all too familiar.

Ivypaw walked alongside Blackstripe on the way up, who began teaching her the code again, "Code number 6: Newly appointed warriors will keep a silent vigil for one night after receiving their warrior name. Do you know why this code is important?"

Ivypaw scrunched her nose, considering. "To teach them patience?"

"Good! It is also to give warriors a chance to consider where they are in life and helps them understand the significance of becoming a warrior."

Ivypaw nodded slowly. She supposed it made sense, but at the same time, she couldn't find much use in standing out in the cold all night.

"And Code number 7: A cat cannot be made deputy without having mentored at least one apprentice. This is to make sure that we only have experienced leaders in charge of the Clan."

This was another rule Ivypaw halfway agreed with. Was it really important enough to be part of the Code?

The four of them entered the now-familiar battle training clearing, the mentors entering first. "I was thinking we could do a bit of one on one," Branchfall said, "claws sheathed of course."

One on one?? Ivypaw glanced at her brother. He was much larger than her, and his kitten fat had given away to lean muscle in the moons he'd been out of the nursery. But I have more experience, she realized. Ivypaw flexed her claws in the dirt, determined to make up for all the times he'd tormented her as a kit.

"We will watch your technique and give you tips on how to improve," Blackstripe meowed, "this is a very helpful exercise as long as it stays an exercise." Blackstripe gave them both a serious look.

Ivypaw nodded, but she knew she would only stay respectful as long as he did. She saw Redpaw glance at her, but she couldn't read his expression.

The two cats faced each other, Ivypaw meeting Redpaw's green eyes for the first time in moons. "You won't win," he hissed, too quiet for the mentors to hear.

So he hadn't changed. Okay, even more reason for her to win. She narrowed her eyes, "Your leader isn't here now." Ivypaw hissed back.

"Okay, begin." Blackstripe said unceremoniously.

As Blackstripe's command hung in the air, Ivypaw and Redpaw launched into action. The clearing echoed with the rustle of leaves and the thud of paws as they circled each other. Redpaw lunged first, aiming to land a blow on Ivypaw's shoulder, but she deftly sidestepped him.

"You're slow," Ivypaw taunted, swiping at Redpaw's flank with unsheathed claws. He managed to dodge her attack, but just barely. Ivypaw felt a rush of satisfaction that almost scared her.

Redpaw countered with a swift move, attempting to catch Ivypaw off guard. However, she anticipated his maneuver, twisting away and delivering a calculated swipe to his hind leg. She was smaller and faster. He seemed like a blundering badger in front of her. The tension between them was palpable. This wasn't just a training exercise; it was a silent clash of sibling rivalry. Redpaw hissed at her, pacing back and forth.

The Life And Adventures of IvyshadowOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara