Chapter 31 - Moon 17

Despite not wanting to, Ivyshadow quickly fell into life in the Falling Rock camp. She learned how to hunt in the pitch black tunnels, and even began to care whether every cat in her makeshift clan got fed. A grudging respect no undeniably passed between herself and her enemies. She would even hind herself laughing with Quartzcluster, or insisting that Cobaltwhisper ate more prey. Before long, it was already half moon.

Ivyshadow spent most of the day glancing at the Tall Trees territory, beyond excited to see her mate. It was one of those times now; she was supposed to be training Forestpaw on more fighting moves, but instead pictured Runningmouse's soft brown eyes, his scent...

"Ivyshadow!" Forestpaw jerked her back to the present, "Goldpaw is going to be wayyy ahead of me when we get back."

"At least you'll be better at hunting," Ivyshadow pointed out, but reluctantly shoved thoughts of Runningmouse out of her mind, "let's go over defensive stances again."

"Awww I wanna learn-"

"Enough!" Ivyshadow snapped. She was getting tired of his constant complaining, "now crouch down."

Forestpaw reluctantly obeyed, falling into a defensive stance.

"See, this is why we need to learn," Ivyshadow meowed, crouching beside him, "your paws aren't even planted - no, not that much!" Ivyshadow knew she should be more patient with the young cat, but her patience was worn thin from being away from her clan.

Forestpaw obeyed without complaint for once, which only made her feel guilty, "like this?"

In a gentler tone, Ivyshadow replied, "don't forget about your tail. Having it straight up just makes it a target."

Forestpaw lowered his tail, and tightened his stance, "How about now?"

Ivyshadow smiled, "great!"

"Now attack me!" Forestpaw said, excitement in his meow.

Ivyshadow rolled her eyes, "Why would I-" she broke off mid sentence, springing on her apprentice.

Forestpaw cried out in surprise, but quickly recovered. He rolled out of the way and swiped at her check with a sheathed paw. Ivyshadow easily dodged, and shoved his shoulder with her paws. He fell back with a laugh, getting up again. The fight felt good; all her negative energy burned away in the adrenaline.

Forestpaw was good at fighting, especially for an apprentice his age. He was small and fast, and had good technique thanks to him badgering any and every cat to teach him. He even had a few moves Ivyshadow didn't know; moves he learned from Granitefur or Quartzcluster.

Finally Ivyshadow pinned him down, grinning down at him. She held him for just a second before jumping off to lick her paws clean.

"Let's do it again!" Forestpaw meowed, rolling to his feet.

"You just do not know when to quit," Ivyshadow teased, "you'll just lose again."

"So? Pleeeeease Ivy?" Forestpaw widened his eyes in an attempt to look cute.

Ivyshadow rolled her eyes, "we have to head back to camp, maybe you can convince Granitefur or Topazleaf."

"Fine," Forestpaw sighed.

He thankfully didn't complain too much on the way back, distracted with talk of a mouse he'd caught yesterday. Ivyshadow zoned out again, thinking of Runningmouse. She would get to see him tonight, get to smell his fur and hear his voice.

Back at camp, Ivyshadow joined Marblestar, Cobaltwhisper and Redclaw at the prey pile. Cobaltwhisper had the most drastic change out of any other cats. It had only been a halfmoon since Ivyshadow, Redclaw and Forestpaw had joined the camp, but she was already nearly twice the size she'd been. She wasn't quite as healthy looking as Ivyshadow, but she could move easily now, and even began to move past the death of her mate. Ivyshadow could now see the clear resemblance to her brother, Runningmouse.