Chapter 16 - Moon 10

Ivypaw dodged, her battle training taking over. She planted her feet, hissing at the she-cat. Another cat approached from the side, and Ivypaw lunged toward him, managing to knock one of his paws off balance. She felt the she-cat's claws dig into her bad shoulder and she screeched with pain.

Suddenly the pressure was released, and Ivyapw rolled over, flinging droplets of blood onto the camp floor. Blackstripe fought the she-cat fearlessly, spitting and hissing. Ivypaw whirled her head around, looking just in time to dodge the tom. She darted towards him again, but her shoulder failed her and she didn't make contact. Seizing the opportunity, the tom jumped on her.

The tom was relentless, slashing her again and again, more blood joining the fray. Ivypaw leapt up blindly, clenching her jaw on the first thing that she came into contact with. "AHHHH!" the tom screeched in pain, letting her go.

Ivypaw spun, trying to survey the battle. It was absolutely chaos. Ivypaw couldn't tell friend from foe. As the tom she'd injured stumbled, Ivypaw zeroed in on a large tom pinning Snowpaw to the ground and without hesitation she leapt forward, knocking the large cat off her sister. Snowpaw rolled to her feet, her normally white fur brown and red, but her blue eyes just as bright. They exchanged a look of understanding before leaping in together, Ivypaw biting the tom's right leg and Snowpaw clawing up his ear.

The tom turned, hissing behind his shoulder, and jumped back into the fray. "Nursery!" Snowpaw yowled, "we have to protect the Nursery!"

Ivypaw leapt over a passed out apprentice, who she vaguely recognized as Earthpaw, around Branchfall and his opponent, finally reaching the nursery. She glanced back to check for Snowpaw, but the she-cat was already hurling herself at a Flalling Rock warrior that was pinning Winterthorn.

The chaos continued into the nursery, and Ivypaw realized with horror that the kits weren't inside the safety tunnel, but instead lay cowering behind Sunshine and Larktail. Ivypaw leapt forward, sinking her claws into one of the four enemy cats in the nursery. "Ivypaw!" Larktail screeched, "we can handle this! Get our kits and get out of here!"

Ivypaw only paused for a moment, staring doubtfully at the four cats they were fighting. Sunshine's normally cheery, peaceful personality was gone. The queen was a blur of rage, her claws moving so fast Ivypaw couldn't track them. Larktail was older, but her years of experience shone through as she deftly handled each cat.

Ivypaw gave the cat she'd been fighting one last slash before breaking away, hurrying towards the kits. How am I supposed to get them out of here?

Ivypaw grabbed one of the youngest kits first, which happened to be Forestkit. Nightkit leapt up from where his siblings were cowering, "Let me help! I'm five moons old!"

"No," Ivypaw snapped through her mouthful of kit, and didn't pause before pelting out of the den. She dodged past cats battling, heading towards the medicine Cat den. Branchfall spotted her, and he sent his opponent flying with a kick, turning to follow Ivypaw, fighting off any cat who tried to touch her.

Ivypaw entered the Medicine Cat den, which was surprisingly quiet. Birchpaw's herbs were scattered, but no cat was inside. Ivypaw placed the one moon old kit through the same tiny tunnel Redpaw had found all those moons ago. The kit tattered on his unstable feet, mewing. "Run," Ivypaw urged, "into the forest!"

The little kit seemed to understand, turning to hobble into the trees. Ivypaw couldn't stop and think what would happen to a lonely kit in the forest, but turned back into he battle. Branchfall was gone from outside the Medicine Cat den. Ivypaw scanned the battle, looking for an opening. She had to rescue the remaining kits.

A cat collided with Ivypaw's back, sending her sprawling. She rolled to her feet, ready for a fight. "Quartzpaw?" She meowed, shocked.

Quartzpaw slashed Ivypaw's muzzle, adding more blood to the ground. Ivypaw dodged her next attack, then rolled behind the she-cat before leaping onto her back in one fluid movement. Ivypaw bit her ear, pressed her teeth in as she tried to shake her off. Quartzpaw's legs buckled, and Ivypaw pinned her down, slashing the she-cat's face.