Chapter 25 - Moon 15

"I call all cats of the Clan of Tall Trees for a meeting!"

The cats flowed into the clearing quicker than they usually did; rumors of the Clan of Falling Rock's predicament had spread quickly around the small camp.

Ivyshadow settled down next to Runningmouse and Winterthorn. Runningmouse looked visibly stressed. In the week since they'd visited the Falling Rock camp he'd spent most of his time training with Daypaw, hanging out with Windfur or sharing his anxious worries with Ivyshadow.

"As you all know, the gathering is tonight," Acornstar began, "We do not know whether Boulderstar and his cats will be there or not. I want to make one thing explicitly clear; we are not to help the Falling Rock cats."

The cats fell silent. Most of the cats who'd gone on the patrol gave each other uneasy, doubting looks; Branchfall, Ivyshadow, Runningmouse and even Redclaw. Would it be so horrible to give the Falling Rock Clan a rabbit or two?

The looks did not escape Acornstar's sharp eyes. "Look at our prey pile." All her cats turned toward the spot, even though every warrior was aware of how empty it was. "We are not a mother of an unruly kit, we have no responsibility towards Boulderstar's decisions. If he would let go of his pride then his cats could ask for help. Until then, we give them nothing. It was their choice to move to the desolate mountains, as well as it is their choice to stay there. We bear no responsibility."

Her words made sense. Several cats nodded, Sunshine being one of them. Ivyshadow dared a glance at Runningmouse. His dark brown eyes stayed fixed at his paws. A moon ago, Ivyshadow would have taken that to mean he was anxious, or shy. But now, clear as day, she could see the spark of defiance in his gaze.

"I will be bringing Pebbleclaw, Birchtail, Oakwhisker, Sunshine, Blackstripe, Violetfang, Snowfall, Winterthorn, Riverflower, Morningpaw and Branchfall with me. I am leaving Runningmouse in charge. The meeting is dismissed, be ready to leave soon." Acornstar leapt abruptly off the stump, and immediately lowered her voice to begin speaking to Pebbleclaw.

Runningmouse blinked in surprise, "I'm in charge?"

The other cats staying were Redclaw, Daypaw, Larktail and Larktail's kits. Daypaw padded up to his mentor, "Aww, I can't go to the gathering?" He was skinny from leaf-bare, but was thankfully well over his whitecough.

Runningmouse couldn't help but smile when he saw his apprentice. "You got to ho nearly every other time," he laughed, giving the younger cat a friendly wack with his tail.

"I know I know," Daypaw sighed, "but Morningpaw will come back and brag all about it."

"I have a sister like that," Runningmouse mused, the humor slowly fading from his voice, "back when she was Cobaltpaw. Always had to be the best at everything, Cobaltwhisper did." He turned his head towards the Falling Rock border, hiding his expression from Ivyshadow.

Ivyshadow knew that Cobaltwhisper, along with Runningmouse's brother Rockwhisker, were both slowly starbing to death in the Falling Rock camp right now. She pressed her shoulder against his, and he leaned closer to her gratefully. "Tonight," he whispered, "would be perfect to cross the border. Nobody will be there to stop us."

Daypaw turned away from them, thankfully sensing his presence was no longer needed. "But you're in charge of the camp - what will Acornstar say?"

"Um, Ivyshadow?"  Redclaw cleard his throat, interrupting them.

Ivyshadow startled, turning to glare at her brother on instinct. "What do you want?"

The other cats were gone by now, leaving just Redclaw, Daypaw, Ivyshadow and Runningmouse in the clearing.