Chapter 38 - Moon 20

As the days passed by, Ivyshadow began to fall back into life in Tall Trees camp. Her belly continued to swell with the presence of her kits, but she worked even harder to train Forestpaw. The times she was working hardest were the only times she was able to forget her grief.

The name of her second kit came to her one of those days. She was near the border with Forestpaw, watching him attempt to hunt a rabbit on his own, when Runningmouse's voice suddenly came back to her. My mother’s name was Swiftrunner, and my father's name was Molefur. Swiftrunner was always loving, the type to take any kit under her wing. She would have loved you, Ivy. His voice had been so sad, so loving.

“Swiftkit,” Ivyshadow tried the name on her tongue. “Swiftkit, Swiftkit.” I like it, she decided. “I'll have a Swiftkit and a Willowkit for my she-cats,” she decided out loud. If I have a she-cat.

Forestpaw crested over the hill, the rabbit hanging out of his jaws. “I caught it!”

He set it down at her feet, puffing his chest, “Easy.”

Ivyshadow laughed, “nice work!” Laughter was coming to her more easily now, no matter how wrong it felt.

He picked up the prey and they set back towards camp, Forestpaw attempting to talk around the rabbit. “ ‘uess waht? I ‘ad to teach ‘oldpaw to hunt birds ‘esterday.”

Ivyshadow shook her head in disappointment. She would never regret killing Violetfang. “at least she has Winterthorn now. He's a great hunter.” Ivyshsdow chuckled, “an awful fighter too - Goldpaw must hate that.”

“Yeah, she does,” Forestpaw murrowed with amusement.

They entered the camp, the familiar scent of herbs and prey mingling in the air. Ivyshadow felt a pang of nostalgia as she glanced around, memories of happier times with Runningmouse flooding back to her. But she pushed them aside, focusing on the task at hand.

Acornstar greeted them with a nod as they approached, her amber eyes flickering with approval. “Ivyshadow, Forestpaw, you're back. How was the prey?

Ivyshadow glanced up in surprise, not used to Acornstar approaching her.

Forestpaw proudly dropped the rabbit at Acornstar's feet, puffing out his chest. “I caught it all by myself!”

Acornstar dipped her head in acknowledgement. “Well done, Forestpaw.” She turned to Ivyshadow, her gaze formal. “Do you believe he is ready for his warrior assessment?”

Ivysahdow was taken aback, but replied without hesitation. “Yes.”

Forestpaw's eyes widened with excitement, his chest swelling with pride. “Really?”

Acornstar nodded curtly. “Yes. Both of you, meet me at the Battle Training Hollow at sundown.”

Forestpaw's tail shot up in excitement, his eyes shining with anticipation. “Okay!”

As Acornstar walked away, Ivyshadow felt a surge of emotion welling up within her. Her heart swelled with pride for her apprentice, but there was also a twinge of sadness. It felt like only yesterday that she had taken on Forestpaw as her apprentice, and now he was already going to become a full warrior of Tall Trees. Ivyshadow would miss him.

“Congratulations, Forestpaw,” Ivyshadow murmured, her voice thick with emotion. “You've worked hard.”

Forestpaw grinned back at her, his eyes shining with determination. “Thanks, Ivyshadow.” He turned serious for a moment, his tail holding still. “Really, thank you. You are a great mentor.”

Ivyshadow felt a swell of warmth in her chest at his words. She had spent moons bringing him up, and now he had been the cat to bring her back from her grief. He was the reason she woke up every morning.