Chapter 26 - Moon 15

It took them a while to clamber down the rocks and escape past the river, but Runningmouse's calm head and knowledge of the caves made it possible. Once they were out of danger, their nerves and anxiety turned into giddy excitement.

"Ivy, we did it!" Runningmouse's flank pressed against hers in the dark.

She grinned back at him, her heart thumping at his closeness. "I can't believe it."

They broke into the moonlight together, and Ivyshadow was finally able to see his face. He was soaking wet, slime, blood and moss sticking to his fur, and he smelled of rotting fish. He was the most handsome cat Ivyshadow had ever laid eyes on.

"You were amazing down there, Ivy. You saved my life." his eyes reflected the stars, staring at her with wonder.

Ivyshadow felt her ears turn pink, but didn't look away. "We better go back. Acornstar will be angry."

Runningmouse smiled, "Yeah, we better." He took a step closer to her, causing her heart to do gymnastics in her chest.

"Or we could stay out here, for a while," she whispered.

"We could." He whispered back, pressing his cheek to hers.

"Ivyshadow!"

The two cats jerked apart, Ivyshadow whirling to face the call.

Birtchtail and Snowfall ran out of the trees, panting. Snowfall reached her first, covering her in worried licks. "Ivyshadow, are you okay?"

Birchtail slid to a halt a couple taillengths away, narrowing his eyes at Runningmouse. "Where were you? Why are you soaking wet?"

"We brought back the river!" Ivysjadow said breathlessly, "Snowfall, I'm fine!"

Snowfall backed off reluctantly, looking worried, "what river?"

"Why would Ivyshadow risk her life to help a clan she had no connection to?" Birchtail asked, his eyes still on Runningmouse.

"We went together, to save cats from dying." Runningmouse replied evenly.

"Or you convinced her to go, to save your own clan." Birchtail hissed.

Runningmouse blinked in surprise, then his eyes narrowed. "Tall Trees is my clan."

"And yet you left your post at Tall Trees to try to save Falling Rock." Birchtail pointed out.

"We didn't try to save them, we did!" Ivyshadow said, stepping in between the two toms, "I made my own decision to go."

It was as if she was invisible. "You left an apprentice and a bumbling idiot in charge of the camp," Birchtail hissed.

"I did it to protect us and to end any more bloodshed." Runningmouse hissed back, stepping around Ivyshadow.

"Am I the only one that has no idea what's going on?" Snowfall asked, glancing from Ivyshadow to Runningmouse to Birchtail in confusion.

"You did it to save your Clan, using our warriors as expendable props," Birchtail snarled, "look at Ivyshadow! Her shoulder is wounded, and Daypaw was forced to stay up all night waiting for you."

"My clan is Tall Trees," Runningmouse's usually calm voice began to rise, "how many times do I have to prove my loyalty?"

Birchtail's claws slid out, and he took a step closer. "Prove your loyalty? When have you ever done that?"

Ivyshadow stepped in front of them again, wincing at the pain on her shoulder. She'd almost forgotten about the cut, Birchtail's words reminding her. "Stop being idiots! Runningmouse and I are both wounded, we need to go back to camp."