Chapter 29 - Moon 17

"The cats going to the gathering will be Pebbleclaw, Birchtail, Branchfall, Blackstripe, Sunshine, Oakwhisker, Winterthorn, Ivyshadow, Forestpaw Riverflower and Morningpaw. I will be leaving Runningmouse in charge." Acornstar meowed, "Be ready to leave soon."

Ivyshadow turned to Runningmouse, pressing her flank to his. "Why couldn't she have left Branchfall in charge?" She complained.

Runningmouse smiled at her, twining her tail with his. "Tell me what goes on at the gathering, if my sister is okay."

Ivyshadow nodded, "If I don't see them, I'll ask a Falling Rock cat."

"Thank you, love." Runningmouse purred.

Ivyshadow blushed, grinning. How was it that her heart raced every time he was near? Even a night away from him was too long.

"You two are SO dramatic," Snowfall meowed, padding up to them. "Everyone is leaving."

Ivyshadow rolled her eyes, giving her sister an affectionate lick. "Don't have your kits while I'm gone."

Snowfall laughed, "I'll try not to. Now go, my mate needs someone to walk with him so he doesn't forget to pay attention and gets lost."

Ivyshadow laughed, giving Her sister one last lick. "You watch my mate and I'll watch yours."

Ivyshadow caught up easily with the others, finding Wintethorn walking with Forestpaw. Ivyshadow padded behind them, listening to their conversation with interest.

"I can hunt! I caught a rabbit my first day," Forestpaw was bragging. That wasn't true; Ivyshadow had caught it.

Wintrtthorn snorted, sounding disinterested. "Can you jump?"

Forestpaw blinked. "Um, yes. I learned lots of crouches from Ivys-"

"Good. I've never seen a rabbit smaller than you." He wrinkled his nose, "You're the size of a mouse."

"What?" Forestpaw's confusion quickly turned to defensiveness, "That's not even true! Mice are like super tiny!"

Winterthorn didn't reply.

"You can't just say something like that and not explain it! It's not - just look at a mouse! It doesn't even make sense!"

After no reply came from Winterthorn, Ivyshadow stepped in. "He went deaf again. This is when you ignore him."

Forestpaw gave Winterthorn a suspicious glare, but dropped it.

"Forestpaw," Ivyshadow meowed, something coming to her mind. "There's this tradition all apprentices do on their first gathering. Go get Morningpaw, I don't think she ever heard about it."

Once she had them both in front of her, she explained the tradition Runningmouse had told her, Birchpaw and Winterpaw all those moons ago.

Morningpaw opened her mouth, looking as if to say no, but Forestpaw spoke first. "Ha! I'll beat Morningpaw, easy."

Morningpaw glared at him, changing her mind faster than a rabbit could run "Fat chance. I'm winning."

"You? You don't have a creative bone in your body," Forestpaw snapped back.

Ivyshadow had to give it to him, he was brave. Stupid and overly defensive, but brave nonetheless. Ivyshadow watched the two apprentices pad ahead, still squabbling, and smiled. "The beginning of a beautiful friendship."

"I like that one, Forestpaw." Winterthorn said in his usual abrupt way. "He's funny."

Ivyshadow gave him a side eye, "funny? Wasn't that conversation the only time you've spoken to each other?"