Chapter 3 - Moon 3

"I call every cat of the Tall Trees to gather for a clan meeting!"

Ivykit looked up from the feather she was trying to wrestle away from Snowkit in excitement. A meeting! She'd never seen a meeting!

Her and the others crossed the now-familiar camp over to the stump where Acornstar stood, joining the gathered cats. "I wonder what the meeting is for!" Ivykit said, excited.

"Isn't obvious?" Violetkit snapped, "Look at Birchkit and Winterkit; puffed up like a couple of proud hens."

Ivykit followed her sister's gaze for where Birchkit and Winterkit stood. They did indeed look proud, but nervous as well. Ivykit couldn't blame them, she'd be terrified.

Acornstar's normally fierce gaze softened as she looked down at her sons. "Winterkit, step forward."

Winterkit's paws were steady as he stepped up to the stump.

"Winterkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Winterpaw. Your mentor will be Larktail. I hope Larktail will pass down all she knows on to you."

Ivykit had never met Larktail, but followed everyone's eyes to a dusty gray older looking shecat. Larktail didn't seem particularly surprised, just gave a respectful nod of her head.

"Larktail, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Rosewhisker, and you have shown yourself to be loyal and steadfast. You will be the mentor of Winterpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Winterpaw."

Larktail stepped up to the rock, leaning her head down to touch noses with Winterpaw, then they both took a step backwards.

"Birchkit, step forward."

The tom stepped up to the stump, placing trembling legs on a root.

"Birchkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Birchpaw." She paused then, looking down at her son, then back at the clan. "Birchpaw has chosen the path of a Medicine Cat. Dreamwalker of the Swaying Grass Clan has agreed to teach him everything she knows. Now please welcome Birchpaw and Winterpaw!"

"Birchpaw, Winterpaw!"

Ivykit yowled their names along with the rest of the clan. Someday she would be up there, becoming an apprentice. "I'll be the most hardworking, strongest, best warrior Tall Trees has ever seen," she vowed.

○○○

"And who won?" Ivykit asked eagerly.

"Us, of course. That's why we have the most territory out of any other clan," Windfur said proudly, "Acornstar is an excellent leader, we've never lost a battle under her rule."

"Wow," Ivykit said, eyes wide.

"It's because we're the best clan," Redkit said, puffing out his chest.

"That goes without saying," Violetkit meowed smugly, " We're nothing like the rock-eaters and pondslime Clans."

"There is no need to be disrespectful," Windfur meowed sternly, "Confidence is good, arrogance is stupid."

Violetkit opened her mouth as if to talk back, but decided against it, "Come on, let's go."

Ivykit reluctantly followed the others out of the Elders den, nodding goodbye to Windfur.