Chapter 22 - Moon 13

Ivyshadow woke up early, one thought springing to the forefront of her mind. Today was the day she should go find her mother. She'd waited long enough, unconsciously avoiding it. What was Willowbranch like?

She stretched, shook off the loose moss, and crept out of the den. Thankfully Pebbleclaw was still asleep, so she wouldn't feel pressured to join dawn patrol. Ivyshadow slipped through the entrance, shivering slightly from the cold air.

The trees were beginning to look bare, and the leaves were edged with frost. Ivyshadow missed the vibrant green of summer, but the forest still had a fresh, cool beauty about it. She took her time picking her way through the bushy undergrowth, breathing in the scents of prey and pinecones.

The sun had risen by the time she made it to the Falling Rock border, beginning to head alongside it towards the twolegplace.

Ivyshadow came to a sudden stop when voices reached her ears, and she crouched down. I really have to learn to stop eavesdropping, Ivyshadow thought, but crept forward all the same. She peeked over a log and to her surprise she recognized Violetfang.

Ivyshadow ducked down again, heart thumping. What was Violetfang doing near the Falling Rock border? Ivyshadow pricked her ears, but she couldn't hear the conversation from where she was crouched. What was Viotletfang up to?

Ivyshadow barely dared to poke her eyes up again. Violetfang was in close conversation with yet a different Falling Rock warrior, one Ivyshadow didn't recognize. Violetfang appeared to be on edge, her ears pricked for any sign of danger.

Before Ivyshadow could recognize that her sister's head was turning, Violetfang's violet eyes locked on Ivyshadow's blue ones. Ivyshadow got to her feet, her instincts screaming at her to run, but her fear keeping them planted.

Violetfang leapt easily onto the log, her expression murderous. "You followed me." She hissed.

"I-I didn't," Ivyshadow cursed her shaking meow, "I wasn't following you!"

"Oh?" Violetfang's claws slid out, "you just happened to run into me?"

Ivyshadow took a shaking step backwards, "Yes! I didn't follow you!" Her voice came out shaker than she'd intended. "I was going to the twolegplace!"

"Liar," her sister took a step closer, "why would I believe you?"

Ivyshadow's mind whirled for an excuse, but she couldn't help blurring out the truth as Violetfang's claws pressed down on her paw. "M-my mother!"

Violetfang didn't even seem to register her confession, "You'll pay for this." her nose was almost touching Ivyshadow's, "but not now." Her sister stepped back all of sudden.

Ivyshadow took in a gulp of air, stumbling backwards. Not now? The Falling Rock cat Violetfang had been meeting with took a few steps backwards before bolting back into his territory.

"I could fight you, right here. I could kill you." Violetfang's tone was casual, as if discussing the weather, "but I won't. Killing you would be a mercy I cannot afford." The she-cat was pacing back and forth now, her violet eyes fixed on Ivyshadow, "everything is your fault, you see? Every horrible thing that has ever happened to me was because of you."

Ivyshadow took another step backwards. Violetfang was crazy. How had she not come to that simple conclusion before? Violetfang had never felt any feelings of love or joy in her entire life, she'd never had a conscience. She was insane.

"Isn't that funny? I can't think of a single thing that wasn't your fault," Violetfang's head snapped back to Ivyshadow, the anger flaring again. "So you must pay. I will break you, my dear sister."