Chapter 39 - Moon 21

Ivyshadow woke up to the peaceful sounds of Snowfall’s kits playing. She rolled over to watch them play, trying to forget her dream.

Northkit, Shadekit and Icekit were playing pass the moss ball, a game Ivyshadow had never been included in. She watched Icekit launch the ball towards Northkit, who caught it in his mouth. Northkit turned back his neck to fling it towards Shadekit, who leapt at it but missed. The raggedy clump of moss rolled to a stop in front of Ivyshadow.

“Toss it to me!” Shadekit yelled excitedly.

“No, me!” Icekit shoved her sister over.

“Kits, Ivyshadow is resting,” Snowfall called, “please play on your own.”

“No, it's okay,” Ivyshadow meowed, getting to her paws. She picked up the moss and threw it clumsily towards Northkit.

“Yay! Ivyshadow's playing!” Icekit snatched the ball from Northkit and threw it back to Ivyshadow.

Ivyshadow attempted to catch it, but missed. She'd expected it to fly faster and had pounced too late.

“Ivyshadow missed, that means she has to stand in my spot,” Shadekit said, getting to her feet excitedly

Ivyshadow shrugged, moving over to stand in the kit's spot.

“If Ivyshadow is in the rotten spot, that means I get magic paws!” Icekit meowed, running to grab the ball.

“Aww, you got magic paws last time!” Shadekit complained.

Ivyshadow held back a laugh, trying and failing to understand the rules of the game. Soon the ball was in the air again, and Ivyshadow passed it to Northkit, who passed it to Icekit. Icekit whirled around, catching the ball with her back leg. “Yes! I caught it will the back leg while I have magic paws, that means I get to go wherever I want!”

“Not fair! You just made that rule up!” Shadekit protested.

Northkit sat calmly as his sisters argued over the ever changing rules of the game. Ivyshadow nudged him, “do you have any idea how to play?”

He shrugged, “I just throw the ball.”

Ivyshadow laughed, her heart feeling lighter than ever. She couldn't help but remember her own childhood, and the games she'd played with Violetfang. Games like let's push Ivykit into a river for no reason.

Just as Shadekit and Icekit had finally agreed on the rules, Acornstar's yowl echoed through the camp, “I call all cats of the Clan of Tall Trees to gather for a clan meeting!”

Ivyshadow glanced up, excitement building. Forestpaw's warrior ceremony!

“Awww, will you okay with us after the meeting, Ivyshadow?” Shadekit widened her eyes, clearly attempting to look cute but instead looking vaguely creepy.

Icekit did the same, quivering her lower jaw, “pleeeeeeease?”

Ivyshadow laughed, giving both the she-cat's a lick, “of course!”

The kits cheered, and Snowfall sighed, “don't feel like you have to, Ivy.”

Ivyshadow leaned down to nuclear her sister's cheek, “Don't worry, it's fun!”

She turned to pad out into the camp, blinking in the sunlight. She'd slept in again; it was already sunhigh.

Larktaik was adding last minute touches to Forestpaw's already glossy pelt, while Branchfall attempted to cheer up his daughter. Goldpaw, however, would not be cheered. She sat in the shadows, shooting looks of jealousy at Forestpaw.