Chapter 4 - Moon 4

"The cats going to the gathering will be Branchfall, Blackstripe, Sunshine, Oakwhisker, and Birchpaw. I will be leaving Larktail in charge, with her and Winterpaw on watch."

Ivykit watched the cats leave, waving her tail at Birchpaw. Despite his abrasive demeanor, she felt a little more friendly towards him now. Speaking of, this is the perfect opportunity to talk to Winterpaw, she realized.

The cats filtered back into their dens, Snowkit, Redkit, and Violetkit disappearing into a clump of bushes, probably trying to sneak out of the camp. Ivykit watched Winterpaw and his mentor discussing something, then they parted ways, Winterpaw walking towards the entrance of the tunnel and Larktail heading back to the Warrior's den.

Ivykit's paws seemed rooted to the ground as she watched Winterpaw's white tail disappear out the tunnel. What if he laughed at her? What is he got angry? What if Violetkit found out about this? What if she had to do it. She took a deep breath and walked over to the camp entrance.

Winterpaw stood, straight as a tree outside the entrance, eyes looking far away. "Um, Winterpaw?" She said cautiously, her voice sounding overly loud.

He turned sharply down to look at her, as if startled, "What is it?"

Ivykit shrank back, "I-I um, well..."

"Birchpaw already told me. You want to learn to fight," he cocked his head, "why?"

Winterpaw had a strange air about him, ever since he was a kit. Acornstar had described him as "unique", while Riverflower had used "Starry-eyed fool". Ivykit could see it in his icy blue gaze. "I-I I," Ivykit, get a hold of yourself, "I was wondering if you knew any defense moves."

He was silent for a second, and Ivykit wondered if he'd even heard the question, until; "Yeah. Okay, I know a little."

Ivykit perked up. He would do it!

"Crouch down." Winterpaw said without warning.

Ivykit was caught off guard but did as asked, bending her knees.

"You're dead." Winterpaw said matter of factly."

"I- what?"

"A warrior was attacking you. Your stance is so bad, you don't stand a chance." Winterpaw meowed.

"What?" Ivykit was so surprised she forgot to be embarrassed, "You never told me a warrior was attacking me!"

"You think the enemy is going to warn you first?" Winterpaw replied.

"No, but don't you think I would have noticed? If I had time to crouch, I had time to realize a warrior was attacking me," Ivykit argued.

"I doesn't matter. You're already dead. In fact, I don't know how you're talking right now."

"WHAT." Ivykit was flabbergasted, "You never showed me a stance! You just-"

"Shh. You're dead." Winterpaw replied, moving his blue eyes back to the forest.

"I am NOT dead."

Silence. Winterpaw appeared not to see or hear her.

"Isn't it disrespectful to leave the dead unburied?" Ivykit asked.

No reply. Winterpaw's eyes began to follow a moth flying in the sky.

Ivykit growled, frustrated. He was insufferable. Before she could think twice, she hit him with her sheathed paw, "Ha, can you-" Then she came to herself, and shrank back instantly, terrified of the punishment. Please don't hurt me, she thought, fear creeping back into her.