Chapter 14 - Moon 9

"Ivypaw!"

Ivypaw collapsed into the camp, barely passing the threshold. Her whole body felt like it was on fire, especially her shoulder. She shook violently, the fear finally showing itself.

Birchpaw was over her, licking her forehead frantically, "Ivypaw! Are you okay?"

What does it look like, Ivypaw wanted to say, but her body failed her.

Blackstripe and Runningmouse dragged her to the Medicine Cat den, where Birchpaw began frantically crushing herbs. "I need Dreamwalker, I need Dreamwalker," he kept muddering.

"I can get him," Runningmouse offered from the doorway.

"Absolutely not." Acornstar's voice sounded angry, and Ivypaw closed her eyes tighter. "I will not have three cats wandering around with the wolves."

"Is Winterpaw okay?" Ivypaw croaked.

"Yes, the idiot is fine," Birchpaw meowed briskly, "he climbed a tree. Pebbleclaw brought him back about an hour ago."

Ivypaw slumped back down, relieved, then another thought accured to her. "Is Violetpaw back yet?"

"Violetpaw has been here the whole time, as far as I know," Birchpaw paused, grabbing a wet bundle of moss and dripping it into her mouth. "Stars, Ivypaw, I was worried." He said quietly, his voice dead serious for once.

Ivypaw swallowed the water, and despite everything, she felt the old feelings for Birchpaw. No, you made a choice, she reminded herself, shoving them back down.

"Is she okay?" Another voice chimed in at Snowpaw ran into the Medicine Cat den.

"She'll be better without an audience." Birchpaw snapped irratably.

"Snowpaw," Ivypaw whispered. She knew that her sister of all people would believe her.

Snowpaw, ignoring Burchpaw's protests, padded quickly to Ivypaw's side. "What is it?"

"Violetpaw. She tried to kill me."

Snowpaw's eyes widened, her gaze flickering to Ivypaw's shoulder. "I didn't even notice that she'd left!"

"Trust me," Ivypaw meowed. She pulled herself up suddenly -

"Ivypaw, don't you'll pass-"

And then everything went dark.

○○○

When Ivypaw woke up, the sun was high in the sky, shining beams of too bright light down on her. She shifted slightly, and pain shot through her shoulder. Birchpaw's back was facing her as he rummaged through herbs, but her glanced over when he heard her groan in pain.

"Oh good, you're finally awake! Runningmouse brought you a rabbit."

Ivypaw, with effort, moved her head to the side. There was indeed a large rabbit, only a couple of tail lengths away.

"When can I start training again?" Ivypaw asked through mouthfuls of the delicious rabbit.

"Not for at least a couple weeks," Birchpaw replied shortly, "eat these herbs with your food."

"Weeks??? I feel fine now!" Ivypaw struggled to her feet, standing shakily, "I'm fine."

"Sit back down and eat your herbs," Birchpaw meowed without looking at her.

Ivypaw slumped back down and did as he asked, sighing. "Which cat stuck a bramble up your butt?"

Birchpaw finally turned around, rolling his eyes, "you wouldn't have been able to do much training anyway; nobody is leaving the camp until the wolves are gone."