Chapter 5 - Moon 4

"Snowkit!" Redkit yowled.

Violetkit stumbled back, looking alarmed. "Redkit, we have to go. They'll think we killed her."

Ivykit stared in shock at Violetkit, "She's your sister!"

Redkit leapt towards the river, but Violetkit stopped him, "She's already dead, Redkit. You can't die too" her eyes were crazy with fear.

Redkit turned, his eyes mirroring Violetkit's, and with that they both ran. Ivykit hesitated for a second to stare at them in bewilderment before turning around to jump into the river.

Immediately, her world turned upside down and backward, the water rushing into her nose. She forced her eyes open, scanning the river frantically. There! The limp form of Snowkit was drifting further and further away from her. Ivykit pumped her legs wildly, but the rushing current was on her side. She managed somehow to grab Snowkit's scruff in the chaos and heave her upwards.

Snowkit's paws moved feebly, and with the last of Ivykit's strength, she shoved Snowkit to the shore. The river rushed Ivykit downstream, and she choked on water. I guess Violetkit gets her wish after all, Ivykit thought.

Just as darkness began to close Ivykit, she felt teeth close around her scruff, and suddenly, it was bright again. She coughed up water, breathing in the glorious, beautiful air. Air that she would never take for granted again.

"Ivykit!" Soemone was shaking her, and she turned to face him brearily.

"Birchpaw?"

"Oh for Rising Star's sake, let's not jump in the river," He snapped at her, real anger in his voice.

"Snowkit," Ivykit coughed, "Find Snowkit."

"Great Stars, there's more of you?! Don't move, I'll be back. Ravenpaw, go get Dreamwalker."

Who's Ravenpaw? Ivykit lifted her head shakily. She saw Birchpaw's tail retrating and a small black cat running in a different direction. A large unfamiliar tom stood over her, staring at her like she was a two-headed rabbit. "Where am I?"

"In Swaying Grass territory." The tom said.

Ivykit tried to get up but failed, falling back down to the ground with a cough. "S-swaying Grass??"

The tom didn't respond, looking over his shoulder awkwardly.

"Please don't kill me," Ivykit said, getting to her trembling feet.

The cat looked uncomfortable. "I won't."

To her relief, she saw Birchpaw approaching a limp Snowkit in his jaws. He set Snowkit down next to her, panic in his eyes. "She isn't breathing, and I don't know how to fix her."

"Snowkit!" Ivykit ran over to her side. The pretty she-cat had been nothing but mean to her, but they were kin.

"WHERE IS DREAMWALKER?" Birchpaw's voice was a terrified yowl.

Snowkit lay, unbreathing. Her normally perfect white fur was wet and muddy, and blood was trickling out of a cut on her shoulder. "You tried to save me," she whispered, feeling sorrow close in on her, "Why?"

"Birchpaw?" Came a yowl front the moor, and Ivykit turned to see a grey tabby tome running down the slope, the black apprentice next to him.

He quickly covered the distance with large bounds and crouched over Snowkit.

"She isn't breathing, I've failed!" Birchpaw was meowing frantically.

"Watch what I'm doing," Dreamwalker muttered distractedly. Birchpaw fell silent, letting huge huge heaving breaths.