Chapter 24 - Moon 14

"I call all cats of the Clan of Tall Trees for a meeting!" Acornstar's yowl resonated across the camp.

Once everyone had gathered, Acornstar began, "One of our warriors has smelled Falling Rock cat scent on our territory."

Ivyshadow, standing next to Winterthorn and Snowfall, scanned the assembled cats. Her gaze settled on Violetfang, who was puffed up smugly.

"Although this is a serious offense, I do not believe it is reason enough for another attack. We will hold our peace for the time being."

Violetfang looked visibly upset at the news, and Ivyshadow narrowed her eyes. If her sister was plotting with Falling Rock, why didn't she want to attack? Ivyshadow was sure Violetfang had planted evidence in an attempt to cause a battle, but why?

"I think we should show them why not to cross with us." To Ivyshadow's surprise, it was Sunshine who spoke. Sunshine whipped her tail back and forth, claws out.

"While I agree with you, Pebbleclaw, Birchtail, and I decided to hold off on more bloodshed, especially with it being leaf-bare," Acornstar responded. Ivyshadow could tell that the ferocious leader was not pleased with the idea of staying peaceful just as much as Sunshine. "However, we will not stand idle. I called this meeting to form a patrol. Pebbleclaw will bring with him some cats to speak with Boulderstar about the incident."

Ivyshadow blinked in surprise, exchanging a look with Snowfall. Acornstar had never let a patrol enter another Clan's territory before.

"Are there any volunteers?" Acornstar asked her clan.

"I'll go." Violetfang meowed immediately, stepping forward.

Ivyshadow shot her sister a suspicious look. What was Violetfang up to?

"I can go as well." Runningmouse stepped forward, his eyes snagging on Ivyshadow before looking up at his leader.

"As will I," Ivyshadow volunteered. Violetfang had a habit of killing cats Ivyshadow loved, and Ivyshadow was not about to let her go on a patrol with Runningmouse alone.

"I'll go." Sunshine stepped forward, her fur already on end with agitation.

"No," Acornstar answered, "I cannot trust you not to attack. Branchfall and Redclaw, will you join the patrol?"

Both toms nodded, Redclaw looking taken aback.

"The meeting is dismissed. Please report back as soon as you return."

Pebbleclaw gave his mate a respectful nod, then turned to summon the patrol. Ivyshadow licked Snowfall's shoulder before padding up to join the others. Runningmouse stepped aside so she could stand next to him. He smiled at her, but his dark brown eyes looked worried.

"All we are doing is talking to Boulderstar," Pebbleclaw began, "there will be no claws out, no angry words. In fact, please just let me do the talking." He made eye contact with every cat until they each gave him a solemn nod. "Perfect. Let's head out."

Branhcfall and Pebbleclaw walked up ahead, Violetfang lurking behind them. Ivyshadow fell naturally into step beside Runningmouse, her shoulder brushing his. "This should be interesting," Runningmouse meowed quietly.

Ivyshadow nodded in agreement, her tail twitching with excitement. "Have you ever been to the Clan Of Falling Rock camp?"

He stared at her blankly, and Ivyshadow's fur prickled. Had she said something wrong? To her relief, he finally let out a a laugh, "I was born there."

Ivyshadow felt her ears blush with embarrassment. She remembered now, of course. "Right. Yes, I knew that." She tried to sound confident.

His teasing smile softened into a genuine one, "It will be strange to see my old camp. It's been a while." His eyes seemed to lose focus for a second, as if seeing the camp he'd grown up in.