Chapter 21, Moon 12

It's so nice being a warrior," Snowfall meowed, stretching lazily in the sun, "we just have to hunt twice a day and then rest, no elder duty, no training."

Ivyshadow laughed, rolling onto her back next to Snowfall. It was less than a week after Snowfall's warrior ceremony, but the she-cats were already getting used to being warriors.

Snowfall rolled to face Ivyshadow, a playful glint in her eyes, "I wonder if-" she cut off suddenly, jumping to her paws.

Ivyshadow rolled to her own paws in confusion, "What?"

"Winterthorn is coming over here," Snowfall hissed, her voice low, "I'm giving him the silent treatment."

"What, why?" The grey-white tom was indeed approaching them, slowly making his way over.

"The other day we went hunting, and I told him an entire story, and at the end he didn't say anything," Snowfall raised her chin, looking annoyed, "He hadn't been even LISTENING. And, when I ignored him for the rest of the hunt, he DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE."

Ivyshadow laughed, "That's just Winterthorn."

"Well, it was rude, and I'm embarrassed. Clearly he doesn't care about what I have to say." With that, Snowfall turned and hurried away, attempting to join a leaving hunting patrol.

Winterthorn padded up to Ivyshadow, watching Snowfall leave. "Where is Snowfall going?"

Ivyshadow rolled her eyes, "She's avoiding you, you squirrel-brain." She found the whole situation incredibly funny. Winterthorn had never had consequences for outright ignoring somebody, and he had never cared whether anyone liked him or not.

But now, his eyes flashed with confusion and worry, "Why? Did I do something?"

"You ignored her. To most cats, that's considered rude."

Winterthorn blinked. "Really? I was just... it wasn't on purpose."

Ivyshadow rolled her eyes, pushing his shoulder, "don't tell me that! Go apologize."

Winterthorn shot her a dismayed look, but did as he was told, running to catch up with Snowfall. Ivyshadow watched them, highly entertained. Winterthorn was trying to keep his air of confident mystery while simultaneously begging Snowfall to talk to him. Snowfall was trying her best to stay offended, but was looking flattered that he was even apologizing.

"You watching the show?" Birchpaw padded up, dropping a rabbit at her feet.

Ivyshadow took a bite gratefully, smiling at him, "This must be weird for you too, seeing Winterthorn actually show emotion."

Birchpaw laughed, "Hardly. He's been talking about her for moons. Like the other day, I was telling him about how my nest was uncomfortable and I need to add feathers, and Winterthorn goes 'Snowpaw likes feathers. I should find some for her.'"

Ivyshadow laughed at Birchpaw's 'Winterthorn' voice. It was deep and emotionless, sounding all too familiar.

"I call all cats of the Clan of Tall Trees to gather for a clan meeting!"

Ivyshadow turned towards the stump, interested. Birchpaw took another bite of the rabbit, then meowed through his mouthful, "I bet it's about Ava."

Ivyshadow turned, and sure enough, Ava was padding out of the nursery, head hanging low. She was fully walking on her own now, but she still looked weak. "How can Acornstar be so cruel?" Ivyshadow murmured.

"This isn't anything new," Birchpaw's voice was hard to read, "this is the same cat who began battle training her kits at 2 moons old, kicked out a kit for sneaking out of camp, and banished a pregnant queen."