Contract or Marriage

Chapter 6

"How does the crimson thread work, Calypso?" She once asked her beloved friend, clutching the ball of passionate red thread in her hand.

"If you hold a desire, a wish, or an unfinished destiny, you twirl the thread twice and tie a knot, praying for your deepest longings to be fulfilled. And when the moment arrives, when your wish, desire, or destiny is finally realized, the thread will dissolve on its own," Calypso tenderly explained, while setting the room for her mystical session.

Now, Sarahi held two strands of red thread, remnants of their first enchanting evening together. The memories were still as vivid as the scarlet droplets that stained the delicate white sheets.

Twenty-four hours prior...

The ethereal white gown caressed her body like a lover's touch, its fabric becoming a second skin. He had lovingly adorned her chest with the phoenix bird, her favorite symbol, creating a wide neckline that stretched from shoulder to shoulder. Her ebony locks cascaded naturally down her back, as the silk veil, passed down through generations of her mother's family, delicately adorned her crown.

Her heart raced with anticipation, each step bringing her closer to him, closing the gap between their souls. This was her own personal runway, not for the flash of paparazzi, but toward the man who held her heart imprisoned within his chest. In the middle of her path, her parents released her, stepping aside as their eyes fixated on him, the one who had left the altar, and was now walking towards her, breaking tradition.

"I promise to always bring her happiness," he vowed to her parents, as he took her hand in his, and together they continued their journey. Now, she was transformed into a pulsating heart, her emotions visible in the trembling of her hand, which he held tightly. Feeling the coldness of her delicate fingers, he gently blew warm breath upon them. He was grateful for the design of her gown, for the sleeves shielded her from the chilly breeze that permeated the San Jacinto church, the very place where she had been baptized and where she had sung as a choir girl during her first year of primary school.

Once, she had been a part of the celestial choir, singing heavenly melodies for the union of two souls in this very church.

The man who was once a stranger merely three weeks ago now stood before her, endeavoring to conceal his emotions beneath his icy demeanor. However, he deceived no one, for his sapphire eyes glistened with tears that she hastened to capture.

"My beloved, you have transformed into an ethereal angel today,"

"Even if I were to ascend to the heavens and become a celestial being, it would not deter my desires, Amor," she murmured, shattering his heart with the mere contemplation of never setting eyes upon her exquisite form again.

Disregarding the world around them, he enfolded her in his embrace, unmindful of their surroundings.

"Never utter such nonsensical words again, lest you desire to encounter a version of me that you will not find pleasant," he tenderly cautioned, caressing her delicate cheeks.

Different from other couples whom the priest Paulo has joined in holy matrimony, Amor embraced her from behind and stood in that position, cherishing the sacred message. They decided to have a brief church ceremony, without exchanging vows. The priest recited the following verses:

"Do you, Maya Sarahi Rivera del Fuente, accept to wed Amor Agustin Crawford with all your heart, and stand by his side in good times and bad, in abundance and poverty, in health and sickness, until death do you part?"

"Yes, I do."

"Do you, Amor Agustin Crawford, accept to wed Maya Sarahi Rivera del Fuente with all your heart, and stand by her side in good times and bad, in abundance and poverty, in health and sickness, until death do you part?"