Getting to Know Each Other part 1

Chapter 20

Getting to Know Each Other part 1

Author's POV 

(Present Time)

"Would you like to spend your free day with me?" a honey-like voice came from behind the bulky man with piercing blue eyes.

"My fairy," he whispered as his heart started pounding, feeling her come closer and shivering when she took his hand in hers.

Robert's POV 

"Tell me more about yourself, my fairy," 

We were both seated in front, having our brunch served in a local restaurant that didn't have a five Michelin star chef but had Sofia, a woman in her sixties known for the best pozole in the area. 

She looked around at the native decor, bringing that old Mexican feel to life again. I got lost in her facial expressions as she thought about my question.

I know I shouldn't ask her about herself, but the more open she is, the easier it will be for her to let go of that pain.

"Before my downfall started, at that time I had my degree in archeology and was ready to go to the archeological site in Chiapas for further studies. The ancient world of Mexican tribes fascinated me since I was a child. During that time, my mom and I went to the Los Altos ranch for a week or maybe more, I can't remember well. I have lost many memories from that time because of what I experienced later.

I was five years old, too young to remember, you may say, but it was a journey of discovery for me as I wandered around and entered a cave near the cacao plantation.

The walls were covered in mud and moss, making them a bit sticky whenever I touched them, but I continued my journey anyway. The rays of sunlight came through cracks in the cave wall that weren't natural. Later, I discovered that the ancient people, probably the Mayan or the Aztecs, had punctured the cave wall so that daylight could enter and make it easier for them to move around. What captivated my childish imagination were the paintings on the wall. They were so colorful and vibrant that I couldn't tear myself away from them.

I think I might have fallen asleep due to the heavy smell of musk and mushrooms.

I remember Aura trying to wake me up from my Dreamland, sparkling water in my face.

As soon as I come to my senses, I started telling Aura everything and she started telling me legends, myths about caves and ancients. I became so engrossed in them that I didn't leave an encyclopedia without buying to know more about them. Thanks to my dad, Amor’s father, my room became a living museum. And every time he went to a place inhabited by Incas or Aztecs, he would bring something from them to me or bring me with himself to go visit museums and ancient places.

I think I replaced Amor, as he was more attracted to the fashion world and didn't like to spend time with our father.

I really wish he would be my real father. The way he cared was on another level, or maybe it was just for me. Who knows.

Now he isn't here anymore to protect me or share his knowledge with me.

It was my fault. I should have embargoed with them that unfortunate night. They were there to take me and I stupidly called dad for help."

"I destroyed everything."

I have been listening to her narration as we eat our lunch in the corner. I have witnessed how her visage changes whenever her mind touches happy moments and how her face drops when the ugly crosses her mind.

Los Altos Ranch is something that is deeply etched in my memories, as the girl that I couldn't save was from a ranch with the same name.

I say "a girl," but she was my first everything, and I was hers too. I was supposed to protect her, but she was wind. Always flying under the nose of her father's bodyguards until those malditos captured her and hurt her. Although none of them breathe anymore, there is still one who breathes, the one who handed her over to their hands. If only one day I found that person, I would make sure the angel of death would bow before me.

"Robert, what is wrong...please answer me...did I say something that hurt you? Please, Robert, respond to me. You are scaring me."

I have entered my zone without knowing again, but this time I can hear her enchanting voice flowing in my ear and drawing me back to safe shores. I blink my eyes, but my fairy isn't in front of me. A panicked riddle runs through my veins when I feel her fingertips on my face. I turn and witness her worried expression.

"I am okay, fairy. You just broke one of my spells that binds me to some ugly memory I have."

I grab her by the waist and flip her over my lap, snuggling my face on her delicate cleavage. I breathe those words.

"Whatever is here inside your beautiful mind that keeps you in the absence of the abyss, just know that I am here for you, mi gigante." She kisses me on the head, whispering and gently stroking my short hair.

I don't know how long we were like that, but I am grateful to God for bringing her to Earth. My angel, my fairy with green eyes.