Cinnamon

Chapter 18

Cinnamon.

Maribel POV

Brushing my teeth in front of the bathroom mirror inside my room, I can't stop rethinking the whole day. It started as a nightmare as we buried our father in that cold ground. If I didn't have Robert with me, I would have been lost all day. I can't find the words to describe him, he is so...ohh.

He is in bed now, waiting for me as he finished his business early. The whole barbecue time went with the four of us sharing our funny stories. I actually stood in silence most of the time and let them speak. But I spoke too, about some funny moments that happened with kids in school. He always listened to me carefully, with his eyes glued to mine.

In the six years since that horrific moment, I am myself again. I speak, I laugh, I joke without trembling, without fearing that those monsters will hurt me again. Most importantly, I have a desire to live and enjoy life beside the man who effortlessly made a place of his own in my heart.

I take a deep breath, adjusting my hair that I left flowing freely over my shoulder. I borrowed a night dress from my sister-in-law, who came with a full package, unlike me who just went to buy food and changed into comfortable clothes for a night at the cottage.

I need to be honest with myself, I didn't know how things would go between us, but during dinner, I felt desire for him. Something so powerful that goes beyond sexual need. I know he wants me too, and I don't want those vultures' touch engraved on my skin anymore.

I want him to tattoo my body with his lips and hands.

I want him to claim me as his.

Robert POV

She has been in the bathroom for a long time. I am getting worried, so I get up and I am about to knock when she opens the door and my mouth drops wide open.

She can't be real. She has become an angel fallen from heaven in that white nightgown that slides over her perfect curves, showing an ethereal beauty that only I am blessed to witness. My inner self awakens and becomes a stone down there as I hear my heartbeat inside my ears.

“How do I look?” Her hand caresses my arm, shaking me from the numbness. Her whisper reaches my ear and I turn to her, raising her head with both my hands.

“Don't bow your head ever, not to me, not to anyone. You are a queen and your head will always be held high. You are my everything. Your beauty doesn't need me to measure it, my love, because you are divinity herself incarnated into human form. I am clear in my words ?” 

I want her to know what she means to me.

I took her hand and lead her outside the room, where I arranged something cozy on the balcony, which thankfully is covered by a window, just like my small room at Calypso's place.

I lost all my romanticism 15 years ago when I lost my first love in the worst way possible, but now she's here, like a ray of sunshine illuminating my darkness. I know what she wants from me tonight, and I am dying to fulfill her request, but first she needs to know me.

“You want to tell me something, right?” She passes me a pillow and puts her back against another, as she questions and moves closer to make eye contact with me.

“Before we get more involved with each other, I want to be sincere and open with you. Something painful happened in my past that led me down a dark path. I have murdered and tortured for pure pleasure, seeking retribution for what they did to…” I couldn't finish the phrase as the pain overtook me. Her bruised face, those marks engraved by those monsters on her olive skin, clouded my mind once again and I felt trapped in my own darkness as I tortured those who hurt her in front of her grave.