Ready for confession

Chapter 17

Ready for confession

The light of Mexico City brought some relief to her sadness as her sobbing ceased, but her tears continued to trickle down her cheeks.

She hadn't noticed when the lights vanished and they had left the city, until she no longer felt the car in motion. She shifted and saw the hulking man with piercing blue eyes gazing at her with such affection that it stirred her dormant butterflies.

He moved closer to her, never taking his eyes off her, unbuckled her seat belt and got out of the car. She did the same. "Isn't it a bit chilly?" she asked as she tried to shield herself in her small jacket, but her short dress wasn't helping with keeping warm.

"For me, it's normal, but I have a solution for you," he said, removing his jacket. "Here, this will keep you warm, fairy girl." He placed his jacket around her, and it was the kiss on her forehead that caused the temperature to rise within her.

"But like this, you will be cold, Robert," her worried voice touched his heart.

"Don't worry, my fairy. I have endured lower temperatures than this. Mexico has the best climate, except for the rainy part."

"You don't like rain?!"

"No, as far as I can remember, I have never liked it because when I was a child, it kept me indoors, and wherever I went, the rain was merciless. Did you enjoy it?"

"I hate it because it ruined everything for me." Her voice was cold, and her pain flowed through her words.

He looked into her green eyes, now dark under the moonlight, and saw the suffering that consumed her.

"Whenever you're ready to tell me what really happened, I'm here to listen. And then I'll seek retribution for whoever dared to hurt you."

"No, don't do anything or you'll end up like Dad. They killed him. They're going to kill everyone. I don't want to lose you. Please don't do anything more than what you've already done. If they come back, I'll go with them and let them do whatever they want. But I won't have the blood of those I love on my hands anymore."

"As far as I know, your stepdad was suffering from a disease for years."

"That's what Mom made everyone believe, but they hurt him when they tried to kidnap me, just like they tried to do a month ago. I always had my bodyguard Elsa with me, who was also my chauffeur, but she quit after the gala night. Now I only have you to stand with me against them. But sooner or later, they'll succeed in their intentions." Her distress was evident in her trembling voice and her shaking hands.

He held her hands and placed them over his chest, encircling her body with his arms.

"Tell me everything, and then let me decide what I want to do. Look at me, Maribel! No one has the power to take you away from my arms, not even you. Because your heartbeat has already betrayed you whenever you're near me. So tell me everything, but first, let's go somewhere warm where we can eat. You haven't had anything since lunch, and soon it will be midnight."

The perfect place that can bring warm and good food was Calypso's place.

She had cooked tacos, enchilada soup, and quesadillas as she was in a good mood today because Maya had won.

“I wasn't waiting for you but for the other couple. Where are your princess and your brother?” Calypso questioned them.

Maribel explained, and she understood.

“Well, there's more food for you two then. I am retiring because if he brought you here, it means that you both have to talk without me. But first, eat then talk.”

Both nodded at her, and he showed her the way to the bathroom.

“Don't dare to say no to her. If you have to beg, do it, but don't let her go. She is your endgame, hermanito.”

Why does Calypso's advice always sound threatening? He still wonders, but nonetheless nodded and started helping her prepare the table outside on the veranda, which was covered by a large window and represented his place as well. After all, he only needed a bed and a blanket to sleep, as the rest of his clothes were in his room back at Maya's mansion.

Finally, they settled down at the table, which was just for the two of them. She took off her robe as Calypso had borrowed her clothes for the night.

They ate in silence, but it wasn't stressful or boring. On the contrary, it was full of good vibes and the chemistry between them could keep a spotlight on all night long.

Both send plates well wiped to the sink, and she offered to wash too. He accepted, although the tension would be hard to shake off.

Somehow, he managed to control himself around her warm body, even when his mind played dirty, showing him images of her writhing under his touch.

Having a hot chocolate mug in their hands, they sat down on his bed-sofa, facing each other.

Maribel gulped down the hot chocolate with the bitterness that the memory she recalled brought.

"On my 22nd anniversary, I was brutally raped by my stalkers, Cilian and Cirio Andrade, the twins who tried to kidnap me again and repeat the same thing the night that you saved me," she confessed.

Robert was keeping his calm because he had already suspected that something like this might have happened.

He took her mug and his away, then took her legs and approached her. Going further, he took her even closer, passing her legs behind his torso.

"Speak, mi hada, from here, so you don't get the wrong idea that I will not be wanting to spend the rest of my life with you standing in this position," he said.

She opened her mouth to tell her untold story that only her mom, her late stepfather, and them knew.