Chapter 10: Only You

Usagi knew she had never been this vulnerable around anyone, let alone Shuntaro Chishiya. 

She seemed to have accepted her destiny, stuck in the borderlands that continued to kill. She was fine with her fateful love and predetermined death. 

All she knew was she didn't want to know. Chishiya, however, wanted to know everything. Of course he did, the cunning bastard. He wanted to know what made everything tick.

"Was it me?" he tried asking; his voice got stuck somewhere in his chest and he didn't know why.

The voice above them stared that it was time to get in the cell again.

Usagi smiled at her beloved, gracing him with a quick kiss before she walked off to say her symbol.

"Heart."

"Spade."

They walked out, almost at the same time, trying to search for the other.

Usagi practically ran into his arms once she found him, "this game fucking sucks, by the way."

Chishiya nodded along; he didn't know exactly what to say, but he knew that listening to her ramble would make her feel better, and he would do anything to hear her talk for just a little longer.

"And-" Usagi paused her racing mind and her quick talking "are you listening?"

Chishiya smiled kindly, what a sight to see for her, "of course I was. Keep going."

"Well..." her voice droned on, and her movements became blurry to him, all he saw was the smile she held.

"You're staring."

"And what about it?"

She laughed just loud enough for Chishiya to swoon over her voice again. "Nothing," she shrugged, "I don't mind at all. You know this."

And just like that, fate was restored. It was only them in the world again. 

As cheesy and dumb as it sounded, nothing could break a bond like theirs, right?

...right?

"What's my symbol this time?"

Chishiya told her, it was a diamond and his own was a heart.

How ironic.

They got through a few more rounds of this perfectly fine. Everything was too normal for a game. 

The gods had something else for them.