Chapter 26: we're almost us again

Chishiya sighed, "that's Arisu. Now– what happened that you had to run all the way out here?"

"I remember."

Oh, shit.

"W- uh... what do you remember?" He sounded guilty of something he didn't do.

"I remember you dying in my arms." Usagi decided to slap him first.

"Okay- ow." Chishiya winced at the impact, his cheek was red. "I'm sorry for not t-"

Usagi pulled Chishiya into an embrace, "I'm so sorry I forgot. I don't know why I did- I think you're so important."

She sees right through me.

"It's okay," he chuckled– he was just glad she was in the same boat now. She remembered.

"What else do you remember?"

"W- there was more?!"

"Ack! Too much PDA for us, right, Arisu?" Kuina exclaimed; finally someone else was here to bear witness to this insanity that unfolded in front of her.

Arisu hummed, not really wanting to get into his friends' lives, especially after Usagi rejected him for Chishiya, he went out of his way to avoid them. He was really the only one who knew they were together, before Kuina.

"Says you, asshole." Usagi smirked, "what about Ann?"

"No. There's nothing else to remember." Chishiya tried to wave her off like nothing. She didn't care– she was just glad he was okay, and not just a distant memory of death and doom.

"It's like..." Usagi struggled with her words, she was at a loss, really. "What were we...?"

In love. We were– the words were caught in his throat, he couldn't seem to get them quite right. I'll just spend forever thinking of the what ifs...

Usagi got close to his face, her forehead resting on his. He could feel her breath as she sighed, "okay, Chishiya."

"O-okay what?" he never stuttered, he never shook– Chishiya was an esteemed doctor. Usagi just had an effect on him.

"Don't tell me," she shrugged. Her smile was sickening, much too sweet for this conversation, "I'll figure it out, y'know."

"I could tell you what you are right now," oh. Arisu was there too. "But if you can't see it, I don't think I can help you."

"Can you... you- just shut up..." Usagi turned away from Chishiya, her hands fell down, but he caught them on his own. "What do you know that I don't?"

"A lot." The answer was simply too complex to decode right now. "But that's not my–"

Chishiya's glare was enough to shut him up. It was none of Arisu's business. But what if she chose Arisu this time? He had won over her heart only once, so he thought, what was so special about him that he would get another chance?

"Hey–" Usai noticed the look on Chishiya's face– the furrowed brows and the set frown, "you're okay, i'm okay, we are okay. just forget about him, forget about everyone else. it's just us."