Chapter 18: Say You Won't Go

The five of spades game wasn't so difficult for Usagi, it was her specialty. Chishiya found this especially interesting, how one player had so much talent in a physical game. He had never seen her before, so he kept his eye on her this time.

"Ooh~ a climber?"

Usagi, somehow, found her way to the floor Chishiya was on.

"Were you watching us...?"

"hm, you noticed?"

Usagi smiled, although tired, "very difficult not to notice."

Their first interaction, short and sweet. It kept Chishiya wanting more, and more he got.

"You again?" Usagi's first day at The Beach, and she's already been met with the sight of the blond med-student.

"M- what are you doing here?" his tone was cool and collected, but his eyes betrayed him; he was glad to see she was well.

"Found my way here..." she dismissed his question with one of her own, "how long have you been here?"

They spoke in questions, each trying to grasp the situation at hand.

They always found a way to each other, within the first two months of Usagi's stay at The Beach, she realized something horrible about herself. Loving Chishiya was inevitable.

Two swift knocks on Usagi's room door; she knew who it was, Chishiya never knocked more than twice.

"Doors open, Chish." she was sprawled on her bed, unwilling to get up. "What do you want, hm?" still keeping her eyes on the ceiling, she felt as her bed tipped the weight distribution. Chishiya sat at the edge of her bed.

"I'm sorry." If he had been any quieter, Usagi would have missed it.

"For ignoring me?"

Chishiya hummed, "and for not telling you why."

"Well, tell me now, then."

Usagi wasn't mad, she was just hurt; it was killing him.

"I- I can't."

Usagi finally got up, and for the first time in two weeks, she looked directly at him. Worst decision ever; he felt a tinge of pain in his chest, he had never meant for this to happen.

"Why...?" Usagi's desperately sad tone was one for the history books "The History of Broken Hearts."

"You'd hate me for it," he said truthfully, a small chuckle escaping from his cold lips, "and I can't handle that."

"You know I could never hate you, that's truly impossible."

"We're living the impossible, Yuzuha."

Usagi was frustrated for more reasons than one; she knows her heart best, so who is he to tell her otherwise?

"Tell me," Usagi said, "or go. And never come back, Shuntaro."

He sighed; his heart was heavy. "Promise me," he started to collect his thoughts, "that we'll stay friends."

She had seen enough romance drama and read enough books to know what he was saying before he had the chance to say it.

"I don't want to stay friends with someone who likes me, silly Cheshire," she smiled almost idiotically, "i like you too."

"How-"

"Don't question my methods," Usagi was beaming, laughing, "I read things. And you," she pointed a finger to his chest, "are a big romance cliche."