Chapter 24: Remember Me

He stayed for an hour longer, until his nurse sent out a search team for him. He heard the knocking on Usagi's door, he dreaded leaving her again.

"Don't go, not yet..."

"I wish I didn't have to." he sighed, giving her hand one last squeeze.

He couldn't bear the pain; he was going to be alone again. Without her, again.

At the tip of Usagi's tongue were the words I love you; she was scared. Why was that on her mind? With a man she barely knew but felt so connected to, no less. As he left, Usagi was alone with her thoughts. That, in itself, was a scary enough thing.

Realizing things about herself now; she hated this hospital more than ever. She hated being alone. She loved h- being with him. She felt that her mind was keeping something from her, but nothing would unlock with her like it had with Chishiya.
Chishiya roamed the lackluster halls of the hospital he used to work in; all he could do was think of his lover- unbeknownst to her. How could he bring her, the real her back to him?

She giggled to herself, and oh, was it an angelic sound for Chishiya to hear, he could listen to her laugh all day.

"What?" Usagi noticed him staring into the space of nothing; she anxiously looked to the clock, time was ticking and he still didn't know his symbol.

"Nothing," he said mindlessly. He turned his attention back to her, "how did I do it?"

He knew everything about her, and yet for her, he was just a stranger.

Chishiya was back in the room now; he felt the dread in the air, he felt himself inching to insanity. "How d- I remember. Why doesn't she?"

It's not fair, nothing was fair for him, or her, or any victim of the borderlands. He knew that the universe would find a new way to fuck with him; this was way below the belt. Nothing he knew before this, even the gunshot to the back, could have hurt as much as this.

And the Fates knew it.

Usagi, on her own journey through her mind; where in the world did she know him from?

Her stomach reeled at the thought, she didn't want to forget him, but it seems she already has. Her body and heart knew her better than her mind did, seemingly.

Usagi was alone. She talked to her walls, trying to decipher what was happening. She knew a few things; she knew she was in a public disaster, she knew she was in the hospital, and she knew nobody. Well, that last one just didn't feel true.

"Miss Usagi, are you ready for a checkup?"

Her doctor, what a nice lady, walked in, and although unexpected, she was appreciated. She got Usagi's mind off of him, off of everything for a moment. Now she had to worry about her.