Chapter 16: Nothing as it Seems

But, of course, nothing was as it seemed; definitely not a hearts game.

Usagi couldn't remember if she had ever been into a hearts game, the games have been a blur ever since she got there. She had been there for god knows how long.

"What now?" Usagi's voice was raspy from the yelling and crying, "do we just...?"

"Finish three rounds of croquet with me, and you win!"

Seemed easy enough.

"What if we don't win the croquet?"

"You don't have to play the game well," Mira still held a smile on her face, "you just have to survive."

"We're so fucked." Usagi complained, her head hung low; she had accepted the faux-defeat before it had hit her.

Kuina glared at her friend; she was strong but now she really had to fight, "No, we're not. Shut up."

'Usi,' a voice in the back of her mind called out to her, it sounded like Chishiya. 'You have to complete this game.'

'I can't, Shun, I can't...'

She had lost her marbles.

"You sit, Kuina has decided that she will play for you."

Usagi let a breath go; she felt freer without having the fate of her friends in her hands.

Kuina had decided before this that she'd survive, but it proved to be difficult for one of her closest friends to find a will to survive. She promised they'd both get out of this together.

"You got this, Kuin." Usagi spoke with a sort of despair stuck in her throat. "I'm just gonna... stay here."

Kuina looked at her friend with sad eyes, "you know it."

Something was about to go terribly wrong.

As Usagi sat there, defeated, she hadn't even noticed the scene change.

All Mira had to do was show her a scene of Chishiya and she would fold there and then, give her whatever she wanted.