Chapter 19: Life Goes On, I Stayed Here

Usagi had droned out the noise, finally ready to let go of her fantasy for now. Just for now, just to survive. Kuina sensed this after the fantasy changed.

"Fuck- shit, Usagi!"

"Watch your tone," the previously mentioned girl warned, "it's Mira's mind games."

"You almost-" Kuina had to take a breath to calm herself, "let's get this done with, okay?"

Usagi, devoid of all emotion, shrugged off the possibility of certain death.

Mira stood in the middle of the voidless room; "are you ready to quit, Usagi?"

"Stop targeting me," she grumbled, almost annoyed, "I'm not the one playing anyways. Can we go back to croquet?"

She knew, they all knew, she was an easy target. That didn't make it any less evil.

"Oh, that's not how my game works!"

Could this day get any worse?
"Round three!" Mira's announcer voice slipped up, her anger was almost clear. "Kuina," warningly, she pointed at the croquet mallet, "your turn."

Finally, so close to freedom, round three.

"So close to freedom!" Mira teased with a kind of evilness nobody could pinpoint but everybody knew.

Usagi's refusal to look at the Queen of Hearts was almost a weakness. The girls all knew it; Usagi was not the same woman she was earlier today.

She wasn't as strong, she wasn't as cunning, her heart no longer held love. It only held hate.

Hate for the world, for the borderlands, for Niragi, for herself. She hated herself.

"We're almost there," Kuina pleaded, "please..."

"Almost..." Usagi repeated; her tone was no better. Her eyes were no colder, no more distant.

Nothing meant anything to her anymore.

"C'mon! Let's play! Brooding is no fun, you know...!" Mira really needed to shut her mouth.

"You're no fun..." Usagi complained; she was not in any sort of mood right now.

"Wh- yes, I am!" Mira tried to defend her name, which nobody cared about, "who are you to say?!"

"Shut up, play." the mourning girl waved her hand towards her friend; she had played her turn.

"Sneaky, sneaky girl!"

Kuina thought the scene was almost laughable.

Almost; If not for the certain death standing in front of them.

"You're good at this, Sagi." Kuina nodded; her friend had practically guaranteed the victory of good.

"I know, i learned that from-"

Oh, and here we go with Chishiya again.