Chapter Fifteen

I fucking bolted the moment I heard those words. I ran across the terrain of the huge house without looking back. It felt like I was getting nowhere due to how wide and long the front yard was. And there was just grass, and their car was parked outside of the white gate.

It felt like a farm. And it looked like it, too. There were no other houses around, and all I saw were trees.

I heard heavy footsteps behind me, stomping fast. I got scared, rethinking everything. If I had just been normal, I wouldn't be here.

Suddenly, I was tackled to the ground. I screamed. "No! Help! Help me!" Mark got on top of me, and I grabbed his face and backed up, kicking him in the nose. I crawled away in a panic and got back to my feet.

"Regina!" He screams. "Regina I'm gonna fucking kill you!" He sounded serious about it to. I reached the white gate, and I climbed over it. The gate shook, and I fell on the other side.

There was a sharp pain on the left side of my leg, and I grunted in pain. I looked down to see a red line, bleeding out. It stung badly.

Mark hit the gate, and I jumped. What I didn't know was that the gate was locked to keep me from escaping, but I'm glad I decided to climb it first.

I forced myself to my feet and breathed past my wounded leg. I could feel the warm crimson draining down my leg, and I hated it. It felt like I couldn't breathe because of it, too.

I ran across the dirt road and into the woods. To me, it wouldn't have made sense to run down the road and still be in sight. So I might as well hide, even if it's for a bit.

I ran through the woods, not baring to stop. I ran and ran and ran. I'm hoping over branches and dodging them. Some of them scraped my skin as I passed and slapped me in the eyes, face, and arms.

I didn't care, I just kept running. And running. And running.

"Regina!!" The sound of Mark's enraged voice made me terrified. I tripped over a log and went rolling down a steep hill. I bounced, and I tried to grab onto something, but it was no success.

And then, the back of my head connected with a rock.

-

I rushed after her, infuriated that she did what she did. I could see her just a few meters ahead of me. I didn't run fast to catch her up. I could, but that would mean the chase would end too quickly.

I know Matthew is mad too due to the way he told me to chase her. He demanded it with such malice and spite. His tone was stiff, and it came out groggy and soft at the end.

The fact that he said it in such an order had given me chills. I've never seen him angry, and I'm not sure I want to see him angry. Who knows what other gadgets he's got here.

"Regina!" She hopped over a log, and I followed ten seconds behind her. When I reached it, I stopped, avoiding the surprise drop. I watched as she tumbled down, skidding across the rocks and leaves.

The fall lasted about five seconds before she stopped. I hopped over carefully and jogged down to her. When I got close, I could see a red imprint on the boulder she knocked into.

I stood over her, just watching her, panting and staring. My fists clenched and unclenched. Is she dead? She looks dead.

Is she? I could feel my eyes get blurry, and my head ached all of a sudden. Is she dead?

"Where is she?"

No answer.

"Where the hell is she?!" I cried. "You can't keep doing this to me!"

I closed my eyes, pushing back the memory. The things I've done due to my sickness sicken me sometimes. Have you ever witnessed a man lose his mind over something he craves so badly?

To be placed into a situation where he has no other choice but to do so? All of the noise, the resisting, the punishments, being unleashed in one tiny space as your brother watch?

I wouldn't say I witnessed it... I was it. I lent down and checked her pulse. She's still alive.

I picked her up bridal style and carried her back to the house. The entire time, I had been staring at her. She really did look dead.

Lifeless.

Free.

About twenty minutes later, I reached the house, and Matthew was standing with the gate open already, waiting for our return. As I passed him, he gave me a tap on the shoulder.

"Good boy. I might reward you."

I said nothing. A simple break to the city is nothing short of a reward. I don't know how to associate with people anyway, so a reward doesn't matter to me. But I do like to get out of the house when I want to.

It's my free will.

I was about to set Regina down, but he stopped me.

"No, no, take her to the noise room. She's still going through evaluation."

The noise room. She's going to lose her fucking mind. As if the resistance room wasn't bad. I didn't argue with my brother, I just did as he was told and followed him to the other side of the house and placed her into the noise room.

It's just like the resistance room with both sides being divided by an unbreakable glass. He grabbed the white straight jacket from the wall and wrapped her inside of it.

"What about her wound? She's bleeding from her head."

"It's just a flesh wound, nothing to be worried about. And besides, since when do you care about females?" He says, giving me a smile.

I wanted to punch that smile off his face. But I wouldn't win a fight with him.

"You're right."

"Come on, let me give you your reward." He says, waving me over. I followed him back to the front of the house and upstairs. Oh. That reward.

We stopped in his room, and I took a seat on the bed. Matthew turned on his TV and smiled.

"You know Mark... you're already cured. But you do as I say, when I say despite how you feel or what you think. I programmed you."

I stared at the TV as I heard him run his mouth. "I am the superior twin. Highly sperated from you."

On the TV is a simple show, a shoe that I watch all of the time. I really like this show. It brings me...a form of sanity.

I hadn't heard what Matthew had said either, something about a program. I could care less.

~