Chapter Three: Winning a Battle, Losing the War

We live out our lives on the surgical unit

We live out our lives on the surgical unit. Seven days a week, fourteen hours a day. We're together more than we're apart -after a while - the ways of residency -become the ways of life. Number one: always keep score. Number two: do whatever you can to outsmart the other guy. Number three? Don't make friends with the enemy.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Meredith was sleeping comfortably in bed, though she knew she had to wake soon to get to the hospital, but she had three minutes left, and she was content to be in a cocoon for the next three minutes. That was until she felt as if someone was staring at her. She opened her eyes only to let out a yelp seeing Izzie standing at the foot of her bed.

"George's room is bigger than mine." Was the first thing out of Izzie's mouth.

Like it had been for the last few days, ever since Izzie and George moved in. And, it was honestly driving Meredith nuts. Meredith, pointedly ignoring anything Izzie had to say, gets up from her bed, but trips and falls flat on her face. She limps away.

"I have more clothes, I should have the bigger room." Izzie continued to rant about George.

"I got here first." George defended himself.

" It's Meredith's house, she should decide." Izzie said, but her complaint fell on deaf ears. Because, Meredith didn't care.

Cristina was right. Babies were toxic. That had to be the reason why she agreed to let her two fellow interns live with her, despite the fact they were together pretty much twenty-four seven anyways. What had convinced her to say yes. Other than the fact that everyone else interested had not been what she was looking for.

Maybe they were the lesser of two evils. But, that didn't mean she signed up for this drama or this level of squabbling between two grown adults.

"My room is like, two inches bigger than yours!" George said.

"You have a bigger closet!" Izzie argued back.

"So? Why is everything always a competition? I -" George retorted.

 Honestly, Meredith zoned out for the next few minutes as she looked for clean clothes to wear to the hospital. She really should do laundry soon, she was getting dangerously close to having all her clothes dirty. And, she didn't need to dig in through the hamper and wear dirty clothes to work.

"...put your clothes somewhere else!" George exclaimed.

"Everywhere else is filled with Meredith's mom's boxes." Izzie said, annoyed. Because that is what she would have done, but Meredith had been resistant to unpacking anything of her mother's, and they were filling up every available closet space.

"Meredith? When is your mom coming back to town anyway? Because maybe we can put her boxes in storage." George suggested to the blonde intern.

" Or unpack a few things, make this place a little more homey. Maybe some throw pillows and lamps, a few paintings." Izzie said as she looked around the house. It did look barren and slightly creepy feeling like no one lived there. Well, maybe ghosts.