Chapter Twenty-Four: Break on Through

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

 In surgery, there is a red line on the floor that marks the point where the hospital goes from being accessible to being off limits to all but a special few. Crossing the line unauthorized is not tolerated.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It had been ten days, and the nurses demand hadn't been meant, which meant the nurses went on strike. They stood outside the main entrance of Seattle Grace Hospital, with signs and chanting "fair hours, fair wages" to all those that passed.

George and Izzie stood a few feet away, struggling with what to do. They noticed that the nurses were either kind to the doctors that passed through them to do their jobs, while the others got insults thrown at them along with food. They had no idea what to do or how to cross the line.

"Can't... can't cross the picket line. I can't." George said.

He had been raised to respect the union, and he knew his parents would kill him if he was seen crossing the picket line on the news.

"I don't like it either, George, but what choice do we have? Okay, you took an oath to heal. You're a healer." Izzie reminded her best friend.

"My dad's a truck Driver. Mom's a teacher. The evening news shows me crossing a picket line, they'll outlive me just to pee on my grave." George informed them.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In general, lines are there for a reason.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Cristina made her way to her two fellow interns.

"Has there been any blood yet? I hear they brought in scab nurses." Cristina commented as she wrapped her arms around George and Izzie's shoulders.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

For safety. For security. For clarity.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Oh wow," Eddie said as she joined them carrying Frankie in a baby carrier. She was coming for her and Frankie's six week check up. Next week, she would be back in the hospital as a surgical intern.

She had heard from the various nurses and from her friends that they were striking but she had hoped it wouldn't have to happen and they figure out or come to a compromise about what they could do to make things run smoother. But, apparently not.

"I know right." Cristina agreed, "I've missed you girl genius. Please tell me you're back." 

"You saw me two days ago, Cris...and I'm officially back next week, remember." Eddie said.

"I know, but Seattle Grace is boring without you." Cristina said.

Izzie smiled and tried to get a better peak of Frankie, whom was bundled warmly to her mother's chest.