Chapter Five: Shake Your Groove Thing

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Remember when you were a kid and your biggest worry was, like, if you'd get a bike for your birthday, or if you get to eat cookies for breakfast. Being an adult? Totally overrated. I mean, seriously, don't be fooled by all the hot shoes and the great sex and the no parents anywhere telling you to do. Adulthood is responsibility. Responsibility, it really does suck. Really, really sucks.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie Sousa is many things:

A genius.

A doctor.

A surgical intern at one of the best hospitals in the nation at only twenty.

And a mother to be.

What Eddie Sousa wasn't was a girl who wanted to rip off some judgy lady's head off her neck when she stopped by her favorite coffee cart on the way into the hospital for her shift. 

She blamed it on the fact that her mother had decided to pop her head out of her hole, and say under no curtain circumstances was she going to be a grandmother. She claimed she was to young, only in her forties, Eddie could understand that, but then she went on about the fact Eddie shouldn't call if she needed anything. This was her responsibility and she wouldn't clean up after her mistakes.

Her mom saw her as the family screw up. She was the unwanted stain in her family. She would never be good enough, smart enough, or accommodating enough to them. Hell, her mom and Step-Stan treated her like she was the one who threw wild parties and ruined their house (that was Amelia), or crashed Step-Stan's brand new luxury car days after he brought it home (that was Beth), or skipped school and got caught making out with a boy three years older than me with alcohol (that was Cece shortly before Eddie moved), or was the one who rained holy terror on the house and broke things in fits of rage (that was Daphne). But, to her mother, Eddie was the devil, and her sisters were the perfect angles and no one could convince her or Step-Stan differently.

But, back to the judgmental woman looking pointedly at the small bump Eddie now sported.

Eddie had a tiny bump now, almost hardly noticeable when she was in looser clothing or her scrubs.  But, judging by the look she was receiving from one of the woman waiting for her order, she could tell. Eddie was wearing a tighter old Yale t-shirt, hoodie, and jeans, and she supposed you could see a bump if you looked closely at her profile.

"Such a shame." The woman tutted while looking at Eddie up and down, "so young."

Eddie bit her tongue and ignored the woman hoping she'd go away. She had to be an adult. She didn't have the luxury of laying into the woman like she so badly wanted to.

She had known logically she may be getting this response. She was young looking, well, she was twenty, but looked like she could pass for sixteen or seventeen, she was starting to look pregnant instead of it looking like she gained a few extra pounds; with her tight t-shirt it was undeniable, and no ring on her finger could send any old lady or stuck up, pretentious woman into a tizzy.