chapter one

𝐈t was the rainiest back-to-school ever and the time was ripe for ruminations and depression, although for Eden Marks her ruminations and depression had nothing to do with the rain. While everyone was talking about their amazing summer holiday, she was sitting alone, looking out of the train window. The road had never seemed so long.

No one was paying any attention to her, at least not in a good way. No one came to ask her if she was all right, but the whispers were audible and all the same. Gossip and theories were rife, but one thing was certain for everyone on the Hogwarts Express: Eden had lost her parents over the summer and was now an orphan. The question was how a couple with no history could have died so young and so suddenly, but no one dared ask.

Eden was used to not being approached. She could be intimidating but those who rubbed shoulders with the Slytherins were kept apart and Eden, as much of a Ravenclow as she was, rubbed shoulders with snakes. A bit of heckling prevented her from finding out more, because someone was pushed into her compartment and sprawled out at her feet. Theodore Nott grunted before looking up at her. If there was one person who wouldn't treat her differently because of her parents' death, it was Theodore.

"What's up, Marks?" he blurted out as he remained on the floor. His smile widened and Eden rolled her eyes. He was handsome, far too handsome and since he knew it, it was unbearable, yet, Eden wouldn't have changed enemies for the world.

"Same as usual, Nott. And if you don't get your ugly face off my feet, I'll smash it," Eden replied. Theodore laughed and murmurs began to run through the assembly. They pushed each other as a hand appeared, outstretched towards Theodore. Immediately, the scent of cigarettes and cologne reached Eden's nose.

"That's enough, Theodore", said a deep voice. Theodore grabbed the hand and stood up, pulled by Mattheo Riddle. Eden pursed her lips, Mattheo was the third, the one who closed the loop of their friendship-rivalry but this summer, he hadn't sent a single letter, nothing at all and Eden was hurt even though she knew she had nothing to expect from him. Draco Malfoy called Theodore and he left the compartment, but not Mattheo. He was still there, facing her, and Eden looked up at him, noticing the bruise on his cheek.

As handsome as Theodore, Mattheo was also a brawler who loved girls and took great pleasure in making fun of Eden's passion for books. However, at the moment, there was no malice in his eyes and that made her uncomfortable. She really had the impression that something had changed between them but she wouldn't have been able to explain it. They spent all their time bickering and being sarcastic and nobody really knew what was going on between the three of them. They just loved to hate each other.

He cleared his throat and stood up straight, which was unnatural. Eden watched him. She looked at him, at the scar across his forehead and cheek, but she'd never asked him how he'd got it - their relationship didn't extend to worrying about each other. She'd never even asked him who he'd been fighting with to come back from the holidays still banged up but she had a pretty good idea, being Voldemort's son had its consequences.