chapter twenty six

𝐅or the third time since September, Dumbledore gave his speech on mourning

𝐅or the third time since September, Dumbledore gave his speech on mourning. He had tried to make Elina's death look like a simple accident, but Eden knew the truth. She was convinced it was murder. Everything seemed connected. Voldemort's questions on New Year's Eve, the death of the heirs. Everything pointed to Eden or Mattheo being next.

The redhead didn't listen to the Headmaster, she just wanted to get out of the chapel and cry. Theodore squeezed her hand and she squeezed it gently. Eden needed support. Discreetly, Mattheo took the other from under the bench and she felt a little better. A sob shook her body and Theodore planted a kiss on her cheek. She got up and followed the crowd to the cemetery where Elina was buried.

Theodore did not insist on staying with her and Eden was grateful. But when she heard footsteps behind her, she didn't have to turn to see who it was.

"They're dead," she said, staring at the grave. "Elina's parents. It says so in the obituary this morning." She turned to Mattheo. "These are clearly no accidents. Someone's after the heirs."

"I know," Mattheo replied. "Do you know where she's hidden the cup? Maybe you can keep it safe." He stood some distance away and Eden nodded.

"I know where it's hidden, it's safe." Eden took one last look at the grave before turning back. Mattheo followed her, standing in front of her to stop her.

"How do you feel?" asked Mattheo.

"I don't know, I think I don't realize yet," Eden replied. The redhead shivered; every night she had nightmares of seeing Elina again, her gaping throat and waking up with a start. Some people had even started saying that people were dying around Eden and that she shouldn't be approached. She walked around him and away, leaving Mattheo to mull over his thoughts.

"Eden, wait!" he called after a moment. Eden was already far away and stopped to turn around. Mattheo arrived, out of breath, but considering the way he smoked, that wasn't surprising. "Please let me make it up to you. I... let me make it up to you. Friday night, meet me on the roof, please."

Eden hesitated. She knew it was a bad idea, Mattheo had hurt her and she didn't want to feel that pain again. But she nodded, unable to resist, and walked away. She had to make a choice. Theodore deserved an answer and she waited until Friday to approach him during a French lesson.

Theodore took her to his dormitory and Eden was surprised that it didn't smell bad. The room was empty and she sat on his bed, taking out her things and looking at him out of the corner of her eye.

"Theodore, I..." Eden began.

"I know, Marks," Theodore replied. He smiled softly at her and Eden frowned, wondering what he was talking about. "You're going to say no, you don't want to go out with me. It's OK, you can't force people to like you."

"No, I... Theodore, I love you, I really do. But I also love another boy and I don't want to hurt you. It's not fair to make you wait and it's not right to choose between two people. I really love you, you've given me so much," Eden said, taking his hand.